Thermal ARC 185 with lots of accessories

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Learning to TIG weld has been on my bucket list but I have plenty to keep me busy and figured it would be "Next Year".
Well today a Thermal ARC 185 with argon Bottle, TIG Finger, Stand with Wheels, and lots of other stuff came up on Craigs list for $900.
This seems like a good deal but love to get some feedback from our HM community on if I should jump on this or wait for something better.

thanks

It seems like it has good reviews.

I don’t know that machine but realize you won’t be able to weld aluminum much over 1/8” thick. Like 3/16” would be the limit and it will be a struggle.

That's probably why he's selling it- wants or needs more capacity

Just look at all those consumables! That's an AC machine at a DC price. Don't get a speeding ticket on the way to pick it up.

I’d be very tempted if it was local. It has good reviews, completely set up and ready to go. It depends on what you want to do but mostly what I want is for thin aluminum. One review said he did 3/16“ aluminum and it was no problem. Running 3/4 pedal after start. No reviews were bad and most said they would replace with the same machine. My only concern is what is that dust on the cart and is it conductive and is there a bunch of it inside the machine and how easy is it to clean.

Thanks for the feedback. I can live with the lower power so I am moving forward on this machine. Should have it later today.

I have had one of those that I bought new in 2005 or 2006 and have used the dickens out of it with no problems. It will do 1/4" aluminum, just take your time. I would not take $900 for mine, it's a deal.

A neighbour of mine has a shop full of Thermal Arc machines, seriously like five of them. Nothing but praise for them apparently.

Just got back from picking it up. The previous owner was fastidious in how he maintained his shop and tools. Everything looks like new. Lots of filler wire, electrodes, a large gas bottle, a very nice custom cart he made. some coupons to practice on. a Tungsten electrode grinder. in other words a complete turn key TUG setup. Everything labeled and stored neatly. I could not be happier. It just about killed me to load it all up in the 102F heat here in central Texas. I am going to wait until tomorrow morning to unload it into the shop. I'll take some pictures then.

Back