The upgrade dilemma!

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
More than once I have found myself in the situation of needing the machine to make bits for itself. That's normal! We all make nice add-ons and mods. Things get more awkward when the part is essential to the machine running at all, like needing one lathe to make a new drive countershaft for another, but so far, we are talking of used machines.

Things are different when when one is attracted by the YouTube videos of folk doing CNC upgrade projects, specifically about converting the small mill into a CNC machine. The machine is brand new, and has not yet cut a single chip. Some of the parts necessary to make a CNC conversion will need to be made on the very same mill which is to be to be converted. This is the machinist's equivalent of ending up somewhat snookered!

There seems no reasonable way other than to disassemble the machine, photograph everything, especially those bits that need to change, fully (and carefully) measure everything, and document it all. Then put the machine together again, and use it to make the various brackets, new ballscrew bearing mounts, etc. This stuff had better be exactly right first time, "one throw straight", so to speak! Get the slightest thing a bit wrong, or needing a bit of adjusting, and the whole thing has to come apart again. It goes without saying that the transformation is better done in such a way as to be "reversible".

I think I may have seek some backup from somebody - a pal maybe who has a mill.

I took the easy way out by using a CNC kit made for my mill. It was still un-nerving having to cut into the cast iron here and there and drilling holes that needed to be pretty much dead-on using a hand drill. I have to admit that one of my drilled holes had to be filed a bit oblong to make it work. Those days of worry have paid off in my case though. It worked when I was done. It would have been nice to have a second mill and a lathe at hand. At that time I had neither, just a wobbly drill press and some hand tools.

Good luck with your project. CNC has been a fun learning experience.

I have a serious interest in doing benchtop mill to CNC conversion myself. I'll probably go the route of a second mill, as that way the benchtop can be completely converted and still retain manual machining capability on a different machine.

I think I may have seek some backup from somebody - a pal maybe who has a mill.
This here seems to be the best way :) Just find a friend that you can make parts with back and forth (or use his equipment to make your part!). I'm this friend for a couple of people, but don't yet have one myself :D

Over the years, I have found it useful to make a SolidWorks model of my machines prior to a major modification. My modifications are also done is SolidWorks so I have a 99+% probability that they will fit as designed.

In addition to my Tormach mill and Grizzly 602 lathe, I do have a second mill as well as my Atlas/Craftsman lathe for a backup which has helped.at times.

When I converted the 602 to a d.c. brush motor, I did it in such a manner that I still had use of the lathe. I set up a simple Variac/diode bridge for a motor control which still allowed use of the lathe. As development of the motor control continued, I added each new improvement but could fall back to my Variac control by simply switching a couple of wires.

When I put optical homing on my Tormach mill, I did it in such a way that I could revert to the OEM homing with a couple of jumpers.

With a bit of forethought, it is usually possible to make a conversion on a machine with minimal disruption.

Back