The ultimate tap handle

GeneT45

Registered
Registered
I know what it is - http://northernmachininginc.com/?page_id=21 (no relation, affiliation, or business interest), but it seems that others don't. I brought it up in another thread ( https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/tap-socket-set.111155/ ) but the beginning of that thread confused me as to what was being asked, and I think it may have confused others as well).
In any case, for tapping in the machine (mill, drill, lathe, whatever), what do you think is the ultimate tap handle? My answer is obvious, but I'm all ears if you think you have something better.

Probably the most expensive tap handle you can buy, but since buying one (8-9 years ago), I have five Starret wrenches that have gone unused. Those unused wrenches are prettier, and together much more expensive than the Northern Machining wrench.

Oh, and for Pete's sake (and mine!) if you're affiliated with Northern Machining, will you guys start marking your tools?! Every time someone asks me where I got mine, I have to go in search of the name again because I never remember it.

GsT

This one showed up yesterday . Now I have an extra for the 50 I don't use ! :rolleyes: At least if this doesn't work , I have to blame my employer ! :big grin:

Attachments

• IMG_1094.JPG
    IMG_1094.JPG
    648.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1095.JPG
    IMG_1095.JPG
    435 KB · Views: 36
This one showed up yesterday . Now I have an extra for the 50 I don't use ! :rolleyes: At least if this doesn't work , I have to blame my employer ! :big grin:
OK, I’ve seen the garage, kitchen & basement, and you didn’t show me the tools in the dining room? Does your wife know that you’re using the good damask table cloth?

OK, I’ve seen the garage, kitchen & basement, and you didn’t show me the tools in the dining room? Does your wife know that you’re using the good damask table cloth?
Any remaining flat surface in the two houses is fair game . If I didn't fill it up , someone else would , and their stuff would stay put . At least mine moves daily . :big grin: In all fairness Charlie , I moved everything in over the past 3 days , so things have doubled .

I agree with you Gene. I've had my Northern Machining tap wrench for years as well. No need to convert me, I am already there. Money well spent.

For manually tapping with tap held in machine: I like the idea of a ratcheting head because clearance can sometimes be an issue (tap handle hitting the bed ways on a lathe). I don't have one though.

I use a piloted tap holder a bit similar to what @Karl_T posted (pic below) or regular tap wrench with a spring-loaded follower (if/when the taps has a center). Works plenty fine for me, though I prefer to break my taps using machine power. :grin:

PXL_20240315_134857363.jpg

Last edited:
This.

Been doing this for 35yrs and that northern tap handle does nothing for me.

On 80% of the jobs I’ve done you couldn’t get a full rotation as seemingly long as the handles are and the piloted feature has been done many similar ways over the last 100yrs.

The gearwrench just has more to offer, even at $160 for the full set of large/medium handles and adapters.

If you’re just tapping one or two holes anything will work, start doing dozens of holes every week and the difference is huge.

.02c

Back