The table (or how to overkill)

K30

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
In my typical fashion, I set something I shouldn't have on the el cheapo folding table I was using as a work surface a couple years back. It promptly collapsed on me, and made a huge mess, causing me to rage. So I decided it was about time to build a real work table that could handle anything I would throw at it. Then all kind of got out of hand... Feel free to tell me I suck at welding, because...I suck at welding.

So I got some heavy wall 4x4 tube. I think it was 3/8" wall if I'm remembering it correctly.
pile o steel.jpg

Then, I commenced to making sure it was all going to fit up ok, and clamping bits in place. Thankfully I have an extremely flat floor.
fixtureing.jpg

After sorting out why the breaker kept tripping free on the welder and fixing the the wiring in the junction box up on top of the wall, I promptly caught my favorite greasy hat and part of my hair on fire welding bits together. A moment of silence for the old John Deere hat :(

weld.jpg

more weld.jpg

At this point I should have realized where I was screwing up, but it was too late. My camshaft was up on a moan, and the wire, she beed feedin'

frames.jpg

I had started to get sore, and tired, as I was spending a lot of effort to flop these frames back and forth to get the welding done. At this point someone with a functional brain would have realized that the frames were up in the area of 225 lbs apeice, and gotten help, or at least planned this out better. But our hero had gotten a couple hours in, and at least 4 beers down. No stopping now!

This is pretty much the point where reality and gravity both set in with a vengance. The frame is now in the area of 600 lbs, and it was wrong side up... Obviously more beer would be needed to correct the situation.

dangit.jpg

Sketchy **** began to commence. But victory was achieved. The top was pointed up, and the roundy bits were facing down. Eyes were beginning to cross, the beer farts had started to seep out. Game was called for the night. The next morning more extremely sketchyness was undertaken. The top was lifted by the tractor and dropped onto some pieces of cribbing laid across the frame. The the farm jack, aka DEATH JACK, was employed to ensure that everyone was killed while slightly lifting the top and booting the timbers out from underneath. Then it was lowered onto it's home.

table 1.jpg

table 2.jpg

Yep, that's a full 4x8 slab of 1 1/2" plate. I didn't figure I needed to weld it to the frame, the weight alone pretty well keeps it there (1900-ish lbs by it's self). Plus it can be taken back off if it ever needs to go anywhere; I think one of the KC shops has a blanchard big enough to handle it if I ever feel the need.

In all seriousness, it's worked out pretty awesome so far. I don't have to worry about what I put on top of it, and it actually rolls really well. It takes some effort, but it's really not too hard to push around where you want, and I bet it lasts me 40 years. Someone will probably inherit it. I do have some more cross pieces for the bottom, and a sheet of flattened mesh to slap in there to hold all the weldy junk, I just haven't got around to it yet. I think I have right at $1500 in the thing, not counting my hat.

That table could even support itself.
Only $1500?! Seems cheap these days.
Make sure you find a home for it before you move on. Don't leave it for your wife to deal with.

Reactions: K30
I really enjoyed your writeup. Nice job on the table. I'm guessing the weak link is either the casters or concrete floor :grin: That is one stout table!

I really enjoyed your writeup. Nice job on the table. I'm guessing the weak link is either the casters or concrete floor :grin: That is one stout table!
Thanks! I can't remember what the casters were rated at, I think like 4k apiece? They don't seem to mind so much, as long as you don't run them square at relief joint.

In my typical fashion, I set something I shouldn't have on the el cheapo folding table I was using as a work surface a couple years back. It promptly collapsed on me, and made a huge mess, causing me to rage. So I decided it was about time to build a real work table that could handle anything I would throw at it. Then all kind of got out of hand... Feel free to tell me I suck at welding, because...I suck at welding.

So I got some heavy wall 4x4 tube. I think it was 3/8" wall if I'm remembering it correctly.
View attachment 424132

Then, I commenced to making sure it was all going to fit up ok, and clamping bits in place. Thankfully I have an extremely flat floor.
View attachment 424133

After sorting out why the breaker kept tripping free on the welder and fixing the the wiring in the junction box up on top of the wall, I promptly caught my favorite greasy hat and part of my hair on fire welding bits together. A moment of silence for the old John Deere hat :(

View attachment 424136

View attachment 424137

At this point I should have realized where I was screwing up, but it was too late. My camshaft was up on a moan, and the wire, she beed feedin'

View attachment 424138

I had started to get sore, and tired, as I was spending a lot of effort to flop these frames back and forth to get the welding done. At this point someone with a functional brain would have realized that the frames were up in the area of 225 lbs apeice, and gotten help, or at least planned this out better. But our hero had gotten a couple hours in, and at least 4 beers down. No stopping now!

This is pretty much the point where reality and gravity both set in with a vengance. The frame is now in the area of 600 lbs, and it was wrong side up... Obviously more beer would be needed to correct the situation.

View attachment 424139

Sketchy **** began to commence. But victory was achieved. The top was pointed up, and the roundy bits were facing down. Eyes were beginning to cross, the beer farts had started to seep out. Game was called for the night. The next morning more extremely sketchyness was undertaken. The top was lifted by the tractor and dropped onto some pieces of cribbing laid across the frame. The the farm jack, aka DEATH JACK, was employed to ensure that everyone was killed while slightly lifting the top and booting the timbers out from underneath. Then it was lowered onto it's home.

View attachment 424141

View attachment 424142

Yep, that's a full 4x8 slab of 1 1/2" plate. I didn't figure I needed to weld it to the frame, the weight alone pretty well keeps it there (1900-ish lbs by it's self). Plus it can be taken back off if it ever needs to go anywhere; I think one of the KC shops has a blanchard big enough to handle it if I ever feel the need.

In all seriousness, it's worked out pretty awesome so far. I don't have to worry about what I put on top of it, and it actually rolls really well. It takes some effort, but it's really not too hard to push around where you want, and I bet it lasts me 40 years. Someone will probably inherit it. I do have some more cross pieces for the bottom, and a sheet of flattened mesh to slap in there to hold all the weldy junk, I just haven't got around to it yet. I think I have right at $1500 in the thing, not counting my hat.
This makes me cry..

4x4 tube, fancy leveling casters. So many dollars wasted overbuilding this table that could have gone to tools.

I have a similar table, but shorter, and with massive wheels for when I need to roll around 5 tons of whatever will fit on the table. It sit's in the basement collecting dust because it have to be unbolted to be able to move it

This makes me cry..

4x4 tube, fancy leveling casters. So many dollars wasted overbuilding this table that could have gone to tools.

I have a similar table, but shorter, and with massive wheels for when I need to roll around 5 tons of whatever will fit on the table. It sit's in the basement collecting dust because it have to be unbolted to be able to move it
Not wasted if it's what he wanted.
To each their own right?

Back