The Superfantastic-one off-90%recycled material, Tailstock Dial Indicator Striker Plate Assembly

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
My Shenwai lathe is just a dream to work with, but the tailstock quill is marked in 1/8" intervals,
not quite accurate enough for a project that required a little more accuracy.

in my shop i have a lot of materials that came from old meat cutting/packaging machinery.
a lot of stainless steel and aluminum and high quality fasteners are rendered, of course i get lots of motors and control systems including switches, wiring, contactors, solid state components. some parts are obsolete some systems will outlive all of us reading.

I'm constantly trying to re-purpose materials and things i get for free or stuff i get paid (on some occasions) to haul away.
which brings me full circle to why i built a DI striker plate using materials i scavenged from machinery that has gone to the boneyard already.
a few pictures for the interested...
TS DI STRIKER1.jpg i rendered the aluminum collar from a meat wrapping machine and bored it to size

the stainless also was rendered from the same wrapping machine.

TS DI STRIKER2.jpg

TS DI STRIKER3.jpg

TS DI STRIKER4.jpg

TS DI STRIKER6.jpg

SHENWAI SW 900 3.jpg
as always, thanks for reading.
i encourage participation.

TS DI STRIKER1.jpg TS DI STRIKER2.jpg TS DI STRIKER3.jpg TS DI STRIKER4.jpg TS DI STRIKER6.jpg TS DI STRIKER7.jpg SHENWAI SW 900 3.jpg

Nice job and you're not alone! I used a digital tire gauge on mine. Doesn't get used much but it's very handy when I need it.

I re-purpose a old Delta-Rockwell table saw bench to mount my mini-mill on. It feels good to save something from the cruncher.
Mark

Great job!!!!!!!!!! I process my own meat at home, got any meat hooks ect. you wanna sell or trade.let me know! Ronnie

Nice idea.
I have the same lathe as the one you have. which I purchased in1976 - it was one of the first 3 imported into the UK. it has not been used for a very long time, but I am setting up a workshop at home again now to finish my Allchin Traction engine which is 3/4 finished but un touched since 1979.
I have lost most of the self adhesive data labels which are used for screw cutting etc.
Please could you take some close up pictures of all the speed & feed data labels and post them here or send them to me by email?
Looking for the one on the lead screw gear train cover, the large one on top of the quick change gearbox and the one for the screw cutting engagement indicator.
Hope you can help.
Rob.

I have lost most of the self adhesive data labels which are used for screw cutting etc.
Please could you take some close up pictures of all the speed & feed data labels and post them here or send them to me by email? Looking for the one on the lead screw gear train cover, the large one on top of the quick change gearbox and the one for the screw cutting engagement indicator.
Hope you can help.
Rob.

Hi Bob
here's a couple pictures let me know if you need additional pictures
mike:))

SW900 Gearbox Tag.JPG

Shenwai Thread legend.JPG

SW900 Gearbox Tag.JPG Shenwai Thread legend.JPG

Nice work! I am a Yankee and as such consider it a crime to throw away good stuff. My problem is finding a way to store all this good stuff. I wish I had the farm I grew up on with a 3 story barn and a 1/2 acre bone yard. We rarely went to the store to buy something. You went in the bone yard to find anything you needed. When I was a little kid my dad would give us a bucket of bent nails to straighten out with a hammer and a chunk of railroad track.

Consider yourself lucky Brooks,
you gained incredible amounts of skill at an early age, and blessed with the ability to use what you have available.
both of those honorable traits have obviously carried on in life.:))

Back