The Score That Keeps On Giving...

C

cvairwerks

Forum Guest
Register Today
I have a friend that is closing out his rebuild shop and clearing off everything that is stored on the acreage around it and getting it ready to sell. He used to rebuilt air starters, power carts, load banks, tow tractors and the like. I had a Nichols 8 mill stored in his warehouse and a tow tractor in one of the yards. Went out to dig the mill out and get it ready to load on the trailer. My friend told me to scavange the yard and acreage for anything I wanted, as come January, they start loading dumpsters for the scrap yard. Most of what's out there in the yards is not worth more than scrap, as it's stuff that he parted out during rebuilds. I kinda went nuts, and some of the stuff may end up in the scrap yard anyway, but we shall see.

Here's the haul since I started:
an unidentified anvil
6 forming stakes for sheet metal
bench plate for the stakes
Marvel #2 hacksaw
Racine hacksaw
unidentified hacksaw that was flat belt powered
36" throat nibbler
B&S #2 mill ( may end up scrapping this thing)
KR Wilson 60 ton press
36" floor based riveter with hot dimple kit for titanium
42"? floor based riveter
48" floor based riveter
Edlund 18"? drill press
huge blast cabinet
Erco? kick shrinker
Athol bench vise
Athol swivel vice
I've already got the anvil, the stakes, bench plate, vices and two of the saws home. I've got to go back out there on Tuesday and finish the disassembly of the press and load the crown in the truck. the rest of the press will have to come on another load. The last saw and the Erco will be a load by themselves. Unless I find anything more, I'll be down to about 6 loads on my gooseneck trailer. Due to the truck I have right now, I'm limited on what I can load at one time... The riveters and the drill press are each going to have to be individual loads due to weight...

It's going to be a mad scramble when I start hauling, as I need to rent a forklift to unload at the house and I don't want to rent it for very many days due to the costs.

Here are a coupe of snaps to whet your appetite for now. I'll shoot and post some more when I go out there Tuesday morning. Ignore the date stamp, as I forgot to update it when I put new batteries in the camera. rsz_100_0524.jpg rsz_100_0526.jpg

Wouldn't think of it going to scrap before tearing down for parts! I'm forever chasing parts for aircraft restorations and it's almost as bad as finding machine parts.

Sounds like one of those once in a lifetime scores, nicely done. The forming stakes are cool. looking forward to seeing the rest of your haul. Mike

More tooling came home over the last two weeks. Wish I had a gantry to unload this stuff. A Racine gear driven hacksaw and a Marvel #2 draw saw and two Athol vices came on one load with the truck kinda dragging low. eek.gif

Was down sick last week, but managed to get the ERCO 1447 loaded. Unloaded it this morning and it's a beast. It isn't any 330 pounds like the newer ones are quoted as being. It's an early machine, as the s/n is just above 1000. It's been heavily used and abused at some point in it's life. I did find a small sheet metal box inside the base with a couple of sets of tools. I haven't pulled them out or tried to figure out what is in the machine now, as it's frozen up from sitting in the weather.

Anyone have a parts breakdown for a 1447 that they would be willing to share? I don't want to start trying to drive the pivot pins out and find out they have keepers.

We are gearing up for the big push on hauling soon. There are the three riveters, a B&S #2 mill, a Nichols #8 mill, a huge Edlund drill press, a KR Wilson 60 ton press, a Vacu-Blast cabinet and another line shaft driven power hacksaw. There will be probably more stuff as things get uncovered as the clean up continues.

Regarding the B&S #2, if it comes to parts, can you put me on the list?

Thanks,

toolman_ar

Here are some photos of more of what has come home now.
These are all home now:
(2) Marvel #2 Drawcut saws
(1) Racine power hacksaw ( made for the US Army Signal Corp)
KR Wilson 60 ton press
ERCO 1447 Shrinker

Still to be moved:
B&S mill
Nichols 8 mill
Vacu Blast cabinet
Edlund drill press
nibbler
(3) riveters

I still keep finding stuff to add every time I go out there. :eek:
100_0548.JPG 100_0546.JPG 100_0544.JPG 100_0532.JPG 100_0531.JPG rsz_100_0547.jpg

If not I would like to talk to you about it

I was just about to start making one of these

Back