The quest for precision on a Sherline mill

EricB

Registered
Registered
I've been using a Sherline 5400 mill for over a year now. Up untill now, aside from checking the tilt of the head with a test indicator, it's been used in "out of the box" condition.

A few weeks ago I was setting up to make a tapered part for a model engine. The size of the part and type of cut required the head set horizontal and the feed on the Y axis with the part held at an angle to the cutter.
base draft setup t6.jpg

Rather than scrap the actual part I made a few test cuts. The first one looked like this. (staged photo)
base draft test cut 1.jpg
Sherline's instructions for the tilt table warn of this situation, but don't really explain why it happens or how to remedy it. They say that the angle plate must be mounted square to the table. What they mean is an imaginary line on the moving angle table must be parallel to the ways for the Y axis and perpendicular to the Z axis, not the table.

It took me about a week but I was able to figure out what was going on, figure out a solution, and finish the actual part. I ended up adding paper shims between the bottom plate of the angle attacment and the mill table.
base draft cutting.jpg

I recently purchased a Starrett precision square to properly check and align the machine and help me sort this out. Since I didn't have all the tools on hand, I never really read the alignment proceedures until now. That was almost as confusing as the problem above.

The first check, after assembling the machine and getting it close to square, is for built in error in the machine. They say it's usually .001" to .002" in 3" of travel. Here's what mine showed back to front.
table back.jpgtable front.jpg
That's almost .003" in 2.75" of travel. I was a bit shocked by this, but it explains the results I've been getting in setups where the work was done on top of a part along the Y axis, like the part I was making above. It also explains why parts I've faced with the fly cutter were never quite square.

The directions say this error needs to be accounted for when making final squaring adjustment to the head. What I think that means is when you sweep the test indicator front to back (or back to front) during that alignment you should read this error.

So now your machine is indicated in and you're ready to go! Mount your vise to the table, indicate the fixed jaw square to X, clamp in your part, and ...

Everything you mount to the table is effected in some degree by the built in error. Unless you add some shims your vise won't be square to the Y or Z axes.
vise back.jpgvise front.jpg

vise bottom.jpgvise top.jpg

As all the errors build up it can get a bit frustrating. For most of what I've made over that past year the error was not really an issue. The parts work but were always just a bit off. I've been burning a lot of brain cells trying to sort out what I've been doing wrong. I figured it was just my inexperience. I think I'm going to put a sign up next to the machine or add a label to remind me of the error. That and buy some shim stock.

We'll see what happens when I go to square up the 2000 mill.

Eric

Perhaps if you tilted the head rather than the vise it would be easier to set up?
Yes, to make the part shown above I could have tilted the headstock and not the vise. I just found it easier to set the angle on the tilt table than the headstock. Besides that I have the tilt table. The setup I used was not my first idea. It is the one that worked.

My point in discussing the setup is it exposed the problem of the built in error of my mill table. I had seen the results of the error, but I could not figure out what was causing those results.

Eric

Unless I'm mistaken, tilting the head would not correct that type of error. I think what you are seeing is that the table surface is not ground perfectly parallel with the y axis dovetails
-Mark

Unless I'm mistaken, tilting the head would not correct that type of error. I think what you are seeing is that the table surface is not ground perfectly parallel with the y axis dovetails
-Mark
Mark,

You are right on both counts.

Sherline's mill tables are not ground at all. They are milled extrusions. On the subject mill above, the column side of the table measures .8919" from the top to the sliding contact surface on the bottom. On the handwheel side it measures .8902" for a difference of .0017". That's part of the error. The rest has to be in the table saddle. Anyway there is no way to adjust out the error.

Eric

Yes, not easy to correct for except with shims. Seems like a lot. Does Sherline give a spec for that?
-M

I'm sure their engineering diagrams have tollerances for the individual parts, but it's not in their advertised machine specs that I've found. As I said above, they give a usual value for what the error could be.

Eric

I wonder if the machine could correct itself by flycutting the top of the table a few thousandths?

I think I'm just going to buy a new table for this machine. I did some more checking and it's also curved from end to end. When I purchased the mill it arrived with the shipping box almost crushed. It had enough force on it the break the board that the mill base was mounted on. That probably damaged the table as well. There was a lot of cosmetic damage too. The seller refunded much of what I paid for the machine so I have a ways to go before I reach the cost of a new one.

I squared up my "new" 2000 mill and it's like night and day. The 2000 is off a max of .001" in any direction and the table is flat. I'm going to use it for a while.

Eric

Back