The Pedal Steel Guitar

Staying with the changer...what I consider the heart of the pedal steel guitar. Refer back to a previous photo where you see the endplate with the window in it..the brass "fingers" where the string comes thru a drilled out hole in the finger and then up and over the curve, then below, the raise and lower bars, the ones with 3 holes in each, to enable "Triple raise and triple lower" on each string. The pull rods come out thru those holes and each have the nylon tuning nut.
First, a detail view of the brass finger
Then, an exploded view of the changer mechanism, which is made up of the brass "string finger", the raise bar and the lower bar you will see the holes drilled thru both bars or plates. They are held together here with a rivetand this creates the pivot point so that you pull the raise bar to raise a string, as well as you pull the lower bar to lower a string. This type of changer is called an All Pull changer, as opposed to the old push-pull.
brassfngr-006.jpgchgrprts-010.jpg

brassfngr-006.jpg chgrprts-010.jpg

Ben,

that looks great, could and would you help me with building my own PSG, where can I find plans and/or information about messeurments

Ben,

that looks great, could and would you help me with building my own PSG, where can I find plans and/or information about messeurments
Obelix,
I recommend that you register with www.steelguitarbuilder.com There is just too much involved for me to help just you...it would take up all of my time. There are very few resources for plans..the few ones out there are of poor quality and I wouldn't recommend those.
When you log on to steel guitar builder, you will see what a friendly little club we are always willing to help fellow members. This is where I post photos and explanations of some of the different parts and procedures. Hope this will be of some help.
Kind regards
Bent

Obelix,
I recommend that you register with www.steelguitarbuilder.com There is just too much involved for me to help just you...it would take up all of my time. There are very few resources for plans..the few ones out there are of poor quality and I wouldn't recommend those.
When you log on to steel guitar builder, you will see what a friendly little club we are always willing to help fellow members. This is where I post photos and explanations of some of the different parts and procedures. Hope this will be of some help.
Kind regards
Bent

Ben, en, thanx for the you're answer, I'm gonna go to the link and see what I find there

Ben;

Many thanks for being a member here. Your work is impeccable. I also love that website, my wife did also. We went to the links and found a a gent with the name Dave Seddon I believe. He plays one song that is very familiar to the Wife and I. It's called Devoted to You. They played it at our wedding reception 43 years ago and we adopted it. I danced with her this morning to at and cried like a baby. I am one lucky man. Again, thank-you so much for joining us.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
I was unable to link to steelguitarbuilder but was curious to know if you sell your changers or unassembled parts or know someone in the club that does(I have the where with all to build the wood sections) There is a Youtube video on making a pedal steel but after seeing the quality of your machining I had to ask. I'm currently a country chicken picker- Have a Hipshot B and G puller- but want to give the pedal a try. Thanks. ej

Back