The pain....The PAIN!!

My dad bought me a new 57 Cushman Eagle when I was in high school. He kept it for a long time and called me one day asking what it was worth. I told him what I thought but also told him I wanted it for my son. I was living in N.C. at the time and would come home to IL to get it. When I called a couple of weeks later and told him I had the money to buy it and was coming to get it he told me that he already sold it thinking I wasn't smart enough to be able to get it back to N.C. I think he got $185 for it. I've never forgotten that. I now own a Super Silver Eagle but it isn't the same. He sold it knowing I wanted it for my son, his grandson, but he didn't care.

Wanna' hear about pain? In the mid 60s I set off for the military, leaving a fully complete 1947 Indian motorcycle at my parents' house. Since it needed some minor work (stripped spark plug hole) I resolved to just leave it, believing it to be safe where I left it. After returning from overseas, I learned that my mom (bless her heart) had not realized its' value and had sold it to the trash man who had evidently had his eye on it as he collected the trash every week. I think he got a pretty good deal at $25 don't you? Almost brings a tear to my eyes. John W.

I was at a yard sale where there were a few tools. In a ramshackle garden shack was a machinist's vise with a swiveling rear jaw. In good condition. It was bolted down to an old bench. I assumed it was not for sale,being bolted down. Another guy got it for $25.00. I really hated losing that! Many years later,when I was toolmaker,I paid something like $1250.00 ON SALE for a Starrett vise with swiveling rear jaw. The handle was so stiff it took great effort to Turn at all. I had to take it apart and machine the nut to make the new vise work. Starrett needs to get a handle on quality control,as I also bought a $125.00 Starrett dial caliper whose inside jaws were .008" off. They were only .004" off after I sent it back to be repaired. They ended up sending me another one. These were American made products,too. They must have hired a monkey to put that vise together. Actually,more like a gorilla!

Back