The New South Bend 10K

Almost a shame to get it dirty but it shall be soon! I did scratch it when I lifted it with the forklift. It rocked into the mast so it is already christened!
So far I am very pleased with the quality. The weight is about the max I could do in my shop. Worth the extra cash IMHO. I hope this is the last lathe I buy. I am constructing a chip guard for the rear and I need to make back plates to adapt my chucks. I wish D1-3 was more common.
Robert

Grizzly carries D1-3 back plates. Or do you have to make something special?

Even though I have a slightly larger lathe (PM1340GT) already, if I had the disposable funds I'd pop for one of those to have as a second/backup lathe. Love that little lathe. I am interested in hearing your impressions once you start getting her dirty. :)

I have one D1-3 back plate from Grizzly. I will probably mount my Bison 6" on that. Drilling the mounting holes will be interesting without a real mill!
R

Purdy lathe was going to get one bought a smaller china model sent back long story ended up with a used 1963 SB Heavy 10 and happy at the find . She was a diamond in rough fully loaded . the tooling alone was worth the price of lathe . Good luck w/her she's sure a nice lookin machine .

Since I have started this thread I figure I will keep posting here with the setup and any issues with this lathe so that others may refer to it.
The lathe is installed, and leveled. The runout of the chuck is less than 1 thou. I checked the headstock alignment and it is off about 1 thou over 12". Those values seem acceptable to me.

So here is a problem:

As you can see, when facing, the tool height is not correct and it leaves a nub of 1.8 mm in the center of the work. Obviously a QCTP would correct this, however, I want this to be right. The previous 3 lathes I have owned were all pretty much spot on in height using standard tooling. Is this degree of error acceptable or should I contact Grizzly/SB for a solution?
Here is the tool post setup:

The error could be that the tool post is too short. It could also be in the cross slide, saddle or even the headstock.
I could shim the tool, but should I really do that or insist this be corrected? Any thoughts, please.
R

Last edited by a moderator:
That is new to me that a tool will be centered automatically on a spindle center. I have always had to center the tool on my own and consider this to be just the way it is. I have to use different shims on each cutting tool that I have. A QCTP would be great but it isn't in the budget cards right now. If you think about it, if tools were naturally centered, why is there an adjustment on the QCTP verticals.

One thing that I don't like about the lathe is the fan on the motor is right there where chips and cutting fluid will fall. Not a good idea and I would build a shroud on of some sort.

My experience with my little SB was similar in that no adjustment to the machine was required. The only machine I've owned that I can say that about. But my experience with 4-way tool posts differs from yours in that I have always had to shim cutters to get them to centerline. Even on my little SB. But I quickly changed it out for a AXA sized QCTP so I no longer cared at that point. :)

I too noticed that motor and told myself that if I was ever able to get one of these I would have to build a shroud or cover to keep the chips out.

I'm with the others, shimming is usually required on a 4 way tool post.

Phase II tool post installed and works great. No more tool height problem.
So I have about an hour of run time on the lathe after breakin. Now the motor is bad! Sometimes it just sits and hums, sometimes it starts slowly, sometimes it starts fine. Nothing is jammed or binding. I suspect a bad start cap or a bad centrifugal switch. I will need to call Grizzly. Any thoughts on the cause?
Here is the video:

https://goo.gl/photos/TSMgZKaY3fToTLZ16

Very disappointing on a new expensive machine.
R

Last edited:
Back