The madness needs to stop...how about a GROUP PROJECT?

I'm in the midst of dreaming up a die filer based on a hackzall or chinese clone carcass. Photos of both attached. They use a nice spiral bevel gear and already include the linear motion and anti rotation. A crossover from sawzall blade to file and you could reuse the quick change. Turn down the DC motor speed a LOT, of course.
I'm thinking the table actually wants to be tilted toward you. Metal top and 3d printed angle adjuster might work.
2ec56b31314bb61f511b4e14d3d46454.jpg
b0ad8da5d905c6b7007a5a1e45f386f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

For the die filer each person could provide their own carcass and we collectively run batches of piece parts.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Or we make all of the parts so that it looks really good they are simple and it could be run on a 1/4 hp motor real easy

Or we make all of the parts so that it looks really good they are simple and it could be run on a 1/4 hp motor real easy
I might prefer we build one that is driven off of a different machine that we are all likely to have...

Who is going to own it, what ever it turns out to be?

How about what ever it turns out to be, sell it to a forum member with the proceeds going to the site.
Maybe a silent auction of sorts?

I might prefer we build one that is driven off of a different machine that we are all likely to have...
We could get a 12 volt or 24 volt gear motor and put a switch mode power supply it would look professional and be cheap to make

I like the idea, and I haven't made my first chip. My Atlas Craftsman 12x36 is still in the sellers garage across the street, but she's comin home this weekend. Obviously, my part would need to be reeeeaally simple, but it does sound like a lot of fun!

I agree on the purchase of your ow
I'd love to do this! This would be a lot of fun :) I have a new large shaper, and a large lathe, so anything on the larger side is doable :)

I'd hope we could do something interesting, but the idea of a "Hobby Machinist Library" of group made tools would be pretty cool as well.

I would be willing to buy my own materials to make my part (and I presume others might be as well!), so perhaps the money-to-a-mod would be unnecessary.

So I think the hardest part would be to come up with something complicated enough we could get about a dozen people working on it, but easy enough that the tolerances wouldn't be deadly.
n materials. It doesn't need to become someone's bookkeeping nightmare that way.

Back