The Great Escape has Begun

Very interesting read on your adventure Jbolt.
I bought a Kubota BX2380, which is the series down from yours. Bought it when I had 1.5 acres. Now I have 22 and it is almost too small, but still works well for what I do. One of the best purchases I ever made. Made a land plane for it last summer to take care of my driveway. It works well.

I used to take the rich & famous in and out of Sun Valley a lot back when I was still flying. Clint Eastwood filmed a movie up there, which is memorialized on sign before you get into Hailey (I think).

We gave our tenants their 90 day notice today! I can hardly wait. I just want to go now.

Kind of hoping my tenant moves out early. I still have a lot to do on the current house to get ready to rent. I have done most everything I can do while still living here but will probably take 3-4 weeks to finish up once we are out. Work has been really good this year so I think I am going to hire out some of the painting and landscape work.

So 90 days and counting until we finally move!

We gave our tenants their 90 day notice today! I can hardly wait. I just want to go now.

Kind of hoping my tenant moves out early. I still have a lot to do on the current house to get ready to rent. I have done most everything I can do while still living here but will probably take 3-4 weeks to finish up once we are out. Work has been really good this year so I think I am going to hire out some of the painting and landscape work.

So 90 days and counting until we finally move!
Great news. Also like that you’re doing what I recommend for anyone leaving this area, if you own your house here rent it out rather than selling.

If you’re happy in the new place in a couple of years then all is good but you haven’t shut the door on coming back.

Im one of the lucky few who have been able to pull it off but coming back to the Bay Area isn’t easy.

John

Oh man, I know how excited you are to see the end. We are finally at the end of our great escape from CA and it's been grueling. After 5 trips back and forth pulling trailers (one of which was moving our horses) we literally just finished unloading the last uHaul truck load last week! Though it was nice to be able to take a lot of time to get moved into our new place then put our old place on the market, I'm so glad it's over. From the time we closed on our new house to now being permanently here in Prescott was about a 3 month process. So I know how anxious you are to get it over with!

In this insane real estate market here I got really lucky and scored a nice shop all finished out and ready for me to customize it. Trying to build a structure right now with lumber prices the way they are and builders backed up would be heck. I am itching to get started on the shop but gotta keep the wife happy so the 1st priority is on getting the house unpacked and set up. Everything in the shop is still packed up in boxes and my machines are still on the flatbed. I've got a long project ahead but it's gonna be fun. The nice thing is after having built my first shop, I can learn from my previous mistakes. Now I can do all the things right I wished I had before! :D

Great news. Also like that you’re doing what I recommend for anyone leaving this area, if you own your house here rent it out rather than selling.

If you’re happy in the new place in a couple of years then all is good but you haven’t shut the door on coming back.

Im one of the lucky few who have been able to pull it off but coming back to the Bay Area isn’t easy.

John
Thanks John, our plan is to rent the house for 8-10 years and then see where we are at. We own both homes outright so it makes the most sense to rent. Like you said it also gives a way back if necessary but I hope that never happens. I have lived here my whole life and I am done. Way too many people here now.

I am so jealous of you two. I have 12 more months starting this July. But it is getting closer.

Congrats to both of you.

Oh man, I know how excited you are to see the end. We are finally at the end of our great escape from CA and it's been grueling. After 5 trips back and forth pulling trailers (one of which was moving our horses) we literally just finished unloading the last uHaul truck load last week! Though it was nice to be able to take a lot of time to get moved into our new place then put our old place on the market, I'm so glad it's over. From the time we closed on our new house to now being permanently here in Prescott was about a 3 month process. So I know how anxious you are to get it over with!

In this insane real estate market here I got really lucky and scored a nice shop all finished out and ready for me to customize it. Trying to build a structure right now with lumber prices the way they are and builders backed up would be heck. I am itching to get started on the shop but gotta keep the wife happy so the 1st priority is on getting the house unpacked and set up. Everything in the shop is still packed up in boxes and my machines are still on the flatbed. I've got a long project ahead but it's gonna be fun. The nice thing is after having built my first shop, I can learn from my previous mistakes. Now I can do all the things right I wished I had before! :D
Excellent! Glad to hear you made it.

We have been moving stuff over the past 2 years in a 7 x 14 enclosed trailer. We took our 9th load up last month. The first 5 was my shop, equipment and material. All the shop stuff was heavy so the amount of stuff we could take with each load was limited. I think we have 2 or 3 more to move the last of it.

Between going through and getting rid of stuff, packing, working on the new property, getting this home ready to rent and working mostly full time I haven't had any real time off since we started this in 2018. I am ready for a break.

Retiring and hopefully moving to just west of your new neck of the woods
Duh. Now I remember. Are you actively looking or have found a place?

I'm not real happy about the decriminalization of hard drugs. Just going to make things worse. The drug trade organizations are getting bolder. Last week they shut down an illegal grow about 5-6 miles from our place. 142 green houses, 30,000+ plants. It is unfortunate the state and our county walked into the legalization of pot with no real plan.

Back