The failed attempt thread!

Armourer

Registered
Registered
Well, it seems everyone here posts pics of nicely finished projects and rarely do you see failed attempts. So I thought I would break that to encourage people to post their failed attempts to help others learn. Well this project failed from the get go, for those who don't know or recognize this, its a tool holder its for a shaper. I bought my shaper without the tool holder, and after some searching to buy one it lead me to make one instead, as there hard to come by and pricey. In all honesty this is my second attempt at making it. My first one failed miserably, most people weld 1" round stock to a piece of 3/8X7/8 flat, then drill and mill the round out. Sounds easy right? Well attempt number 1 failed when I went to go weld mine together. I hadn't used my welder in 7 months, so naturally the battery for my auto dim helmet was dead. Great, got to love living in a remote location as no one was open near me to buy the special battery. So no welding. So I went inside defeated, or so I thought till I got thinking I had a nice chunk of 1"X2" hot rolled bar sitting in the garage. So back to the shop to try attempt #2. I machined this one out of a solid bar stock, cut the radius on the bottom with my mill (first time cutting outside radius on mill) Looked good to me. Next part was to cut the slots in the head to accept the 1/4" tool bit. No problem, took out my rotary table a cheap 4" china made thing. Put the round into the 3 jaw chuck on it, centered the hole in it. Cut my first slot straight down the shank. Turned out good, then went to go cut the two 45 in it. Now this is were it went sideways on me. As you can see in the last pic my set up was off and the two 45 weren't lined up perfectly (look at the little "triangles" on the top aren't equal). Now at this point there is usually slots cut at 90, two at 45 and one at 180. Well seeing as my setup somehow got messed up I wasn't able to cut the last 180 slot.
IMG_5884.jpg
IMG_5885.jpg
IMG_5886.jpg

Where did it go wrong you ask? Well I think theres two things I messed up on. First of all when I cut the outside radius I never cut it to a full circle. If you look at the pics you can see it looks flat on the side and bottom of the round. I didn't want to make it perfectly round as I didn't want to remove too much material from the outer diameter. The second thing that went wrong was as soon as I put my rotary table on my mill, I never centred the chuck on the rotary table. I completely forgot to as I thought it was already done. I am positive I did it last time I used it but guess not! Well I learned a few things, so the next one will be perfect when I do one. This one will work fine for the time being. Next one will be much better! So go ahead and add to this post your failed attempts! We all do it, as much as I hate to say it....

@Armourer ,

I am glad that you are not hesitant to post failures.
As you noted we all do it!

I think I learn more from the failures than the wins.
......and I do a lot of learning that way!

-brino

No, sorry, you're the only one to ever have a failure...

I've failed several times making a 5/8-12 square thread nut. It's been annoying enough that I've stepped back to reconsider and maybe pout a little.

Still a beginner and building my first hit & miss engine it has taken me 4 tries to finally get a crank shaft I am happy with. I don't consider those first three to be total failures because of the lessons learned. Number two is actually a good crank but I miscalculated on the stroke and made it twice what it was supposed to be. Now I am learning to make a connecting rod and am on number one right now. Fingers crossed and going slow.Crank & Con-rod.JPG

A foot note to the OPs first post: Many disposable batteries can be recharged to get more life out of them. Most of the silver oxide and lithiums work. You need to supply them with a voltage slightly higher than their rating. Do this carefully, in a fireproof area, especially for the lithiums. Do not leave unattended and monitor the battery temp with your finger. Explosion is a rare possibility. I do not suggest this as standard practice but works for emergencies when you don't have a new battery on hand. (welding helmet) I have recharged my car key fob battery and had it last for a month.
Robert

Last edited:
As a rule, the day I don't make a mistake is the day I will be looking at grass from the brown side. Mistakes are for learning. The only people that don't make mistakes are the people that don't do anything. The mark of a good machinist is that he is able to conceal those mistakes. Interesting thread, let's keep it going. "Blunders to avoid" is a good thread too, but I think reserved for more dangerous or bloody errors.

The journey starts with the first step . I'll keep it short .

"Looking at grass from the brown side" got to remember that one- thanks Bill :)

Back