TH42 New Lead Screw

current_resident

Registered
Registered
The original lead screw in my 10F was pretty well worn out. Most of the threads in the heavily used range where peaked instead of flat. It was affecting finish, and I wasn't very warm and fuzzy about threading with that much wear. So I decided to replace it. Since no one I can find sells new lead screws, I bought four feet of threaded Acme rod from Roton Products in Kirkwood, MO. They offer rolled threads instead of cut threads, so I'm hoping for a more durable, longer lasting lead screw. And for $12.94 per foot of 3/4-8 RH rod, I couldn't beat the price. I cut it to length, and turned the ends to match the existing screw. I have access to a mill at work so I was able to cut the keys there. Word of warning, if you do this yourself, pay attention to keyseat depth, it is NOT standard. Other than some fitment issues because I didn't cut the keys deep enough, it slipped right in. And I'm in it for less than $100. Cheap repair for those that are looking for a replacement.

LS.jpg

That is brilliant, thanks for sharing as my lead screw is in similar shape as yours. Might have to try this.

Back