tension compression tapping head

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hi guys

Does anyone have a plan,preferably with dimensions or scetches,for a tention compression tapping head.Got a lot of M6 holes to tap and need a plan quick. I tried the cordless drill route but that does not work for me. I tried it with a M10 but the tap slips in the chuck. Don't realy know how the tool work if someone can help with that,it would be great.

Thanks for your effort, but I was thinking of something simpler. That is way to complicated to make myself.

I had a thought that if you're in a bind and just need to knock these holes off fast, whether grinding three small flats on the tap shank might allow you to get a better grip on it using your cordless drill. Handholding the tool affords some forgiveness if your grinding isn't perfectly even, and an M6 tap has a decent enough size shank to not weaken it too much. In my neck of the woods, the cost of a tap isn't that much to risk even if it doesn't work.

-frank

Tapping in the mill I usually rely on hitting reverse at the appropriate moment.
If you go for less than 100% thread so the tap doesn't bind your cordless should manage the job, especially if you use a tapping lube,

- Nick

Might try brown paper wrapped around tap shank in the cordless drill , I've heard it improves the grip

Are you looking for something like this? It's called a tension/compression tap holder or a floating tap holder.

Floating Tap Holder.jpg
This one is a ER20 floating tap holder with a 3/4" shank. It has about .200" of compression and slightly less than .500" of tension/extension. It's meant to be used in a milling machine with a reversing spindle.

Back