Ten Month Report on Mag Drill Press Project

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
These two guys have now been in service for 10 months, and I thought I'd provide some info on how they have performed. As I mentioned in another post (link below), one mag drill has variable speed and reversing for tapping, and the other has power down feed.

Of the two, I have probably used the one with the power down feed the most. When combined with annular cutters, I can't think of a better way to make holes within its capacity limits (5/16" to 1 3/4" with annular cutters). When tapping with the other unit, the tap slips in the chuck with anything larger than a 3/8-20 thread. This helps prevent tap breakage, but is still a limitation. It's very handy otherwise though.

The major advantages I have found having two of these drill presses are the ability to have each one set up for a separate operation, and having two tables to support extra long work.

The variable speed mag drill is a BDS MAB465. The one with the power feed is a BDS AutoMAB450.

The mag drills themselves, while loud with their universal motors, are tolerable to me. I wouldn't want to stand at one all day though. Functionally, they have both been perfect.

A description how these two units were fabricated is here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/finished-my-magnetic-drill-press-project.87029/

Attachments

• table adj 1.jpg
    table adj 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_9192.JPG
    IMG_9192.JPG
    588.7 KB · Views: 143
Back