Telegraphy Key

I will take a photo of the two units. I may have inverted the 2 names. The practice one has the electro magnetic coil on the same board. Picture will make it more clear. It has been a while since he pulled them out of storage and memory can be faulty.

A straight key with a sounder on the same board is often used as a practice rig. Or if you go back to wired telegraph days, the combination of a key, a sounder, and a set of wet cells make up a telegraph station.

Yep, that purple glow is pretty cool. I like tube rigs.

The key with the coil may well be an old telegraph key & sounder. The photo will tell. If so, it is a collectors item and worth preserving.

Man that thing is beautiful!

Did you knurl those knobs on the lathe, if so you did a nice job!

Mm

Thanks Mm, This was my second project using the mini lathe & mill... and my first attempt at knurling. I was really pleased with it but still have a lot to learn and skills to acquire. That is part of the fun with these things and helps to keep my mind healthy. I will be replacing the finger knob with one of my own after I buy the Delrin for it.

Ed - ad7gr

Sorry for the delay about posting a couple pictures of my Dad's keys.
Here are a few of the 2 keys. The older unit is what he practiced on. The Vibroplex was his working unit. I do not remember hearing the telegraph when I went to the station as a little boy, though it was still in the stations into the 60s. I do remember the Teletype machine, as I would paste up the messages onto the dispatch sheets for him.

I also remember helping him do the coaling for the station. Open the coal shoot and then go down into the cellar to watch the coal fly in. 8)

Mom remembers washing my clothes afterwards! @#@#@#

telegraph.jpg telegraph3.jpg vibroplex2.jpg vibroplex3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are in great condition. I especially like the Vibroplex. I think that the other is a telegraph sounder which was used so a person receiving could hear the code sent down the line. Sorry, I wish I were more knowledgeable. If you'd like I could see if I can track them down for you.

Ed

author=pdentrem link=topic=3446.msg26054#msg26054 date=1316130727
I do not remember hearing the telegraph when I went to the station as a little boy, though it was still in the stations into the 60s.
I also remember helping him do the coaling for the station. Open the coal shoot and then go down into the cellar to watch the coal fly in. 8)

pdentrem, what's the history on the "station", it sounds like Coast Guard or something?

Sorry about that confusion. Dad was a railroader. Station agent and station master across a large portion of the Eastern Canada. He started in the mid 40s and changed track or career path in late 69 as the railroal continued to close their stations due to trucks being more friendly to customers. He moved over to operator and parttime dispatcher until retirement. He was in for 47 years. Alot of people can not lay claim to that today. 10 years is the average to most.

Here is the underside of the key and sounder unit. It can be setup as a practice unit or as a send and receive unit. Dad says that some of the early places he worked in used it as a everyday telegraph key and sounder.

telegraph4.jpg

I've got an inquiry in to some pros I know for the model of the Bug... will post here when I find out anything.

Back