Telegraphy Key

I haven't heard back from the pros but the Vibroplex key looks to be a special presentation model of the Lightning Bug.

Ed

author=John Hill link=topic=3446.msg26143#msg26143 date=1316203530
I have seen the presentation Lightening Bug, they were supplied with a very nice carrying case. But I have never seen one with square weights.

Here's a photo of the discontinued Lightning Bug from the Vibroplex site... very close but the lever pivot on it is not jeweled.

discontinued_LIGHTNING_BUG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful pieces! Didn't know that anyone used used telegraph anymore,or made their own equipment for it. I have an old Western Electric unit . Always found it to be an interesting gizmo,but know absolutely nothing about them.

I just discovered that the key is a Lightning Bug Deluxe made somewhere around or prior to 1979. Vibroplex stopped making the Lightning Bug shortly after moving to Main in 1979. I have a request in to the website owner for permission to use his photo and description which I'll post if allowed.

In the meanwhile check out http://www.n4ekv.com/keys.asp (8th key down)
and http://www.la.ca.us/frandy/late.html (3rd key down)

Ed

The serial number says about 1948 which would be correct as Dad started in 1947 with the railroad. It is a Lighting Deluxe and the Chrome/Nickel base and jewels are standard. This has been an interesting search.

The site I contacted returned my email... dead end there. Whew! Glad it's done. clap1#$#$

Now back to my CW work...

Ed

I am pleasantly surprized to see a thread here on straight keys and bugs:) I have a small collection myself including the practice key / sounder. My Vibroplex has the gray crinkle painted base and has the cylindrical weight. I am active mostly during straight key events (licensed in about '64 or '65). A special event is coming up soon called the Antique Wireless Assoc. Bruce Kelly 1929 QSO party where we all use Morse code transmitters based on designs from 1929 or early (using ancient tubes such as the #27 triode in a Hartley oscillator putting out only about 1/2 watt:))
Great Job on the straight key Ed! It looks like one of the restored artifacts in the AWA Museum. My first machining project was a UHF coaxial vertical antenna for ham radio use. I had to learn the basic operation of the lathe to make many of the parts mostly from aluminum but having a few plasitc insulators.
73 (best regards), Pete, WB2UAQ

Great work on the key. I passed the Novice exam back in the early 80's but never did much with it. Equipment was too expensive for me then.

Neat thread as my dad was a radio operator during WWII in the Navy. He said they did everything in Morse code so I'm sure if he were here he'd recognize some of those units. Thanks for sharing.

Back