tecumseh, tip of the day

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
does that engine on your mower run for a minute then quits, if you look on the bottom of your carb there is a bowl and the bowl is held on by a bolt carefully remove bolt without dropping bowl in that bolt there is going to be 2 tiny holes clean with a thin wire and reassemble mower should run fine this is on most tecumseh engines:biggrin:mac

Also do not lose the small screen if it has one. Current production small engines are required to meet CARB guidlines and misplacing the screen will cause them to run too rich and put out considerably more unburned hydrocarbons. I miss the industrial equipment repair field. Never a boring day and rarely an unsolvable problem. Gotta love the 40 pound Homelite Superwizz 66 with a pulp wood bow. Or filling a trailer full of high grade woods for the BBQ folks in deep South Florida (Northern Cuba Miami)). Those were the best days I can remember as a young man making my way away from Mommy and Daddy and there homes.

Southbend 9, congratulations on being our 2000th member!

you remember the 2 man mercury chain saw lol:biggrin::biggrin:mac

Oh yeah, I also remember the original "pulp wood saw" that had a circular blade and a big ole engine. It would whip around when it hung and cut you off at the ankles. Lots of one legged loggers from that day and time. But they were loud, powerfull and just plain sexy if you had one. Even if it was a small one you still got a heck of a grin after using it to slice and dice an entire tree in no time at all.
Bob

those were the days chiggers on your ankles and sawdust in your ears lol:lmao:mac

Irish,
In 1994 I got a snow blower with a Tecumseh 5HP horiz. engine that would idle but would not take higher speed after the carb got rebuilt by a mechanic, so I picked it up for free and cleaned out the holes on the tube and it took off. The mechanic told the guy the motor was shot. While running it for awhile the key broke on the crank, the mechanic did not tighten the motor bolts and came loose, so I made a key then the rope broke. I had to buy the rope and supply labor and I used it for years, not bad for $1.90. A couple of years ago the end of the crank broke off so I put a B&S 5HP on it. I still have the old motor and plan to fix it, it only broke off even with the nut that holds the wire screen and the pull rope starter, it does not have any forces on that end and don't know why it broke.
Paul

Irish,
In 1994 I got a snow blower with a Tecumseh 5HP horiz. engine that would idle but would not take higher speed after the carb got rebuilt by a mechanic, so I picked it up for free and cleaned out the holes on the tube and it took off. The mechanic told the guy the motor was shot. While running it for awhile the key broke on the crank, the mechanic did not tighten the motor bolts and came loose, so I made a key then the rope broke. I had to buy the rope and supply labor and I used it for years, not bad for $1.90. A couple of years ago the end of the crank broke off so I put a B&S 5HP on it. I still have the old motor and plan to fix it, it only broke off even with the nut that holds the wire screen and the pull rope starter, it does not have any forces on that end and don't know why it broke.
Paul
are you talking about the end of the crank if you are i have only seen 1 other do that and it was a deformity in the making of the crank and i find it really funny you mentioned that, you cant hardly beat the tecumsehs the only drawback is the carbs and them little holes in that bolt, ive got 2 sitting here waiting for paint, i took one a cple yrs ago and mounted to a board and mounted a cub cadet generetor to it and a full size battery and always takes it with me when we go to the farm and if we have to jump any vehicles we use it and its still going strong:biggrin:mac

i also got one that had a messed crank on the back side where some one took a hammer to get the pulley off, so i clamped it to my lathe bed started the engine and used my tool post to dress it up, trick of the trade lol:biggrin:mac

Irish,
I have a pic of the shaft with the nut right above it and part of the shaft still in it. I think the motor is a 1984 model and held up for many years before the crank broke. I took the Briggs 5HP motor off the snow blower and put it on a tiller for now, the Briggs motor is a mid 70's model and never been apart except for the carb that I rebuilt last year along the the winder spring that broke last year also. I have a backup right now just in case it's a Toro from 1980 that I got from a Golf Course with original motor and a spare motor both for free.
Paul

DCP_0473.JPG

Back