[How-To] Technique

I've looked at vids of putting a light on welding helmet so I'd like to see a picture of yours if possible. When the shade is set for comfort I loose perspective of my line of travel and sometimes overshoot the end.
Thanks
Aaron

Here you go.
It’s just an inexpensive LED headlamp stuck on with double-sided Gorilla tape.
If you do this make sure to mount it so that it tilts up. :D
2a5c9f1c57017367898f70df3e788abb.jpg

e1d43033cd7adaf4118dff9729b3117f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished building a welding cart so probably laid down about 3 ft worth of MIG beads.
It was .065 wall tubing and I was blowing through too much because I didn't understand the relationship between the voltage and wire feed speed.
I made a chart that gets my wire feed speed in the range required for the metal thickness. I also measured my welding voltages so I had some clue about what voltage my welder (an old Millermatic 130) was putting out at the four voltage settings.

I also discovered that I could not see what I was doing so I bought a new Esab A40 Savage helmet and put an LED light on the chin.
Between getting the settings right for the material and situation and being able to see the weld puddle I was able to finally draw cursive 'e's and get some decent looking beads.

Definitely the wire speed and voltage seem to be the one thing I try to keep constant.

Definitely the wire speed and voltage seem to be the one thing I try to keep constant.

I wanted to know what the actual numbers for WFS and voltage because I was looking at this guide from Jody Collier:

David,
Throw the chart away!
At most use it for reference only.

The secret is "frying bacon" a good consistent weld at least with wire feed, sounds like a skillet full of bacon frying. Spits and pops are just that, spits and pops...which you don't want.

Clean everything, even if you have shiny new metal, clean it anyway.

Learn to bevel your joints. People will tell you that you can't weld thick metal with a low powered welder...they don't know crap.

Look up the rod or wire you are using. The maker will have advise for power, feeds, and technique.

Search around the web...there are many beginner welding guides that will help you get started.

Back