Teaching myself

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
One of my goals for many years has been to understand and repair PCB's This guy is my kind of teacher. Not a lot of theory or math but good old common-sense pen and paper teaching. Those like me may enjoy his teachings some may already know. He has many other videos besides this one all about learning electronics.

Boy, that's a big topic- You could spend years, and if you want to work with modern surface mount components you need special hot-air
equipment and steady hands
It's amazing though how many times it's something dirt simple - bad solder joints, broken connections at a connector, or fried power supply component.

GsT

Credit to you for jumping into this. It is an open ended thing, as reading schematics means knowing what all the symbols represent, and what those things do. Those symbols are not completely standardized so different times and different countries may use different symbols, etc. Doesn't mean you can't make use of elementary knowledge, a multimeter, and basic safety precautions, to do useful work in understanding and fixing electronics.

Boy, that's a big topic- You could spend years, and if you want to work with modern surface mount components you need special hot-air
equipment and steady hands
Well I am sure I won't get into any of the ultra-small stuff cause even with a magnifier i suck at reading and seeing things. But for me the Learning has begun. As he says in the video you must learn the alphabet before you can learn to read. His slow and simple method of pen and paper is excellent for me to take a little bite and chew thoroughly on it. I lived in Mexico for almost a year, and I had to re learn the alphabet sounds to be able to understand and speak Spanish. I watched someone else's video on Oscilloscopes while riding my exercise bike and now I understand what Square Wave means. I look at it like this Knowledge is mine once I learn and understand it. The Internet has its faults but for an old Buzzard like me. FYI Buzzards eat skunks on the side of the road that have committed "Skunk Suicide."

Would that be "skunkicide"? LOL
Learn Ohm's law. That's the key in the lock. Applies to everything electrical
The journey starts with one step

Last edited:
This reminds me of back when I was in 8th grade electronics class. Most of us ended the class with A's but none of us had any idea how. I really think that I didn't retain anything the day after the final.

Would that be "suicide"? LOL
Learn Ohm's law. That's the key in the lock. Applies to everything electrical
The journey starts with one step
Well Mark I have never known anyone who intestinally ran over a Skunk. Therefore, every time I would see a dead skunk in the road or side of the road, I would tell my little dog "Another Clear Case of Skunk Suicide."

I am learning a lot as I go and surely need new glasses and brighter lights.

While on the subject how do you test a MOV? I have one in the old board I smoked from the align Power feed and I tested both MOV's on the board. One which I soldered in myself to replace the one that had smoked. And the one that looks like nothing is wrong with it. When testing it wi8th a DVM set on audible continuity it rings the bell. The one I soldered in myself test open. I got a new one out of the bag and tested it just for S-its and Grins and it also test open. I am not currently in need of the old board because I replaced it and the breaker with new ones but I would like to see if I can repair the original one for practice and also for future use if needed.

This reminds me of back when I was in 8th grade electronics class. Most of us ended the class with A's but none of us had any idea how. I really think that I didn't retain anything the day after the final.
You know the old saying . Use or Lose it.

Back