Tapping/Threading aluminum

The_Apprentice

Registered
Registered
I am going to practice with my cheap carbon tapping set on some aluminum roundbar soon. I the problem is I do not have any standard tapping lubricant (yet). But I do have standard cutting oil /machining coolant. Is this ok to use instead for just aluminum, or still bad idea?

Seems I have another problem here on my first attempt at using dies.

As I understand, if I am making my own M8 nut, I need to drill about %20 smaller than the tap size. However, I am confused when it comes to using the M8 die to thread an M8 bolt. Should I start with an 8mm roundbar and just thread, or am I supposed to change the size of the shank. I ask this, because it seems damn impossible to get the M8 die on an 8mm roundbar.

It is not easy to get a die to start on the bar unless you file or machine a taper. This may mean tapping the thread longer than needed and machining off the excess. I make a taper for aluminium or steel. If I do not make the taper, the die tries to bite but then the small thread breaks off before the die is able to get a good hold.

The taper ideally begins about the base diameter. The length of the taper in my work depends on the material and diameter.

However, I am confused when it comes to using the M8 die to thread an M8 bolt. Should I start with an 8mm roundbar and just thread, or am I supposed to change the size of the shank. I ask this, because it seems damn impossible to get the M8 die on an 8mm roundbar.

8mm = 0.3149". You want to turn the blank down to about 0.310" OD, put a 30 degree taper on the end and you'll have about a class 2 fit.

Back