Tapping on a turret lathe

E

ecdez

Forum Guest
Register Today
So my head is swimming from all the different terminology and options for tapping. What I am looking for is to tap a hole on a turret lathe. Apparently there is a tool with some type of collet that allows the tap to spin freely once the tapping depth is reached but then backs the tap out once the motor is reversed. What is the correct name for this item.

If anyone has one for sale cheap I'll entertain that too :)).

I hope I spelled this correct but it is a geometric head in general you would pre set your carriage for the length of thread and when the head mounted on the tailstock bumps together
the geo.head trips (opens up) & threads done. They turn up on ebay but not cheap.. Maybe geometric die head that sounds more correct. BUT you have to buy the dies.
advantage is if you have many many threads to do these are lightning fast.

sam

drinking to much Nyquill this week

Last edited:
Man I was way off on that one ( I dont know how to erase it) I was thinking outside threads. Oh tapping thats a procunier and I know I spelt that wrong.
somebody will come and spell it right.. usually used on a drill press or mill but I have seen them on a lathe.
sam

A Procunier is similar to a Tapmatic. I have one and those work well in a drill press but they need the rotation of the chuck to work. On the turret lathe, the tapping head is stationary and the work rotates.

I thought like you did above for a while but was quickly shot down to that idea during my search. Different animal all-together

This video shows what I'm looking for. Look at 0:27 - 0:35. You can see it freely rotates after hitting a certian point, the spindle is reversed and it backs out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn0aM6_DuXk

Doesn't need to be that model specifically, just one that does the same thing.

What is the proper name for this?

Man I was way off on that one ( I dont know how to erase it) I was thinking outside threads. Oh tapping thats a procunier and I know I spelt that wrong.
somebody will come and spell it right.. usually used on a drill press or mill but I have seen them on a lathe.
sam

We always call them thread chasers. You can change the die sets to change thread size. Also there is a adjustment to change the class of thread needed. Hope this helps.

I think they are called self releasing tap holders. I have one or two and I can sell one of them. The tap is loaded in a collet in the tool then when tap enters work, the tool has a dog to keep tap from turning till it pulls past dog , then it free spins till you reverse machine. The one I have has a 1 inch shank and I think it will take taps with a shank up too about 1/2 inch. If you email me I will send you pic . jimatcf@Hotmail.com

jimsehr

P1000606_zps34fefcd4.jpg

P1000606_zps34fefcd4.jpg

Last edited:
Search for Brown & Sharpe box tool tap holder. One important note is that they allow the tap to "float" axially, thus are self centering.

Matt

I think they are called self releasing tap holders. I have one or two and I can sell one of them. The tap is loaded in a collet in the tool then when tap enters work, the tool has a dog to keep tap from turning till it pulls past dog , then it free spins till you reverse machine. The one I have has a 1 inch shank and I think it will take taps with a shank up too about 1/2 inch. If you email me I will send you pic . jimatcf@Hotmail.com

jimsehr

P1000606_zps34fefcd4.jpg

Sent you an email earlier. Thought I would mention it just in case it went into your junk box.

P1000606_zps34fefcd4.jpg

Back