Tapping - is this just the way it is?

You might want to look at power tapping. Actually breaks less taps. This offer can be found used for a fraction of new price

I also power tap with a collet right in the knee mill. Bit of a learning curve here and you need an easy instant reverse - I use a VFD with resistor brake.

several offers on ebay:

Tapping really isn't hard - you're just making it so. A plug tap is NOT the way to start a tapped hole. A TAPER tap is used to start a tapped hole and can be used for the entirety of a thru hole. Are you supporting your tap, or is it all just freehand?

And, what is that thing you're making?

I have no issues with the plug tap, starting and free hand and all. My threads come out very nice. My issue is just the time it takes to do. It's like twenty minutes a hole. I need to look into these tapping heads some of you mentioned.

You'd be able to tap all 48 holes in less than 20 minutes!

At one of my first jobs working for the Crain Carpet Cutter Company of all places I ran a drill press with a tapping head. Yes, that's what you want if you're building more than one of these.

Guitar bridges? Cool, I've built a few bass guitars, one neck but never a bridge....

John

Back