Taping Block

dlane

Active User
Registered
Hi all , made a block to keep taps straight , common sizes 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2" . Seems the taps are larger od than the hole size , is there a chart with actual tap od sizes , most of my taps have three flutes
Thanks

I haven't seen a chart , What Size did you drill the holes?

I suspect he drilled the 3/8 hole .375, not oversized which is what the tap measures.

You will have to have the hole large enough for the shank. Once the tap is in a couple threads it tends to straighten up anyway. Most taps under 3/8 only have about 1 inch of thread or less, So if your block is close to that the shank may not fit unless the block is drilled for the shank.

Taps are typically oversize, classified by the H or D thread limit spec The number following the H number is the amount of oversize in half thousandths. The number following the the D is the amount of oversize in multiples of .013 mm.

I used screw machine drills in a 1" block 1/2, 3/8, 5/16, 1/4 " . Three flute taps are hard to measure , the shanks are useualy smaller than the threads on the taps I have. Most of these taps came from a
GE plant that closed. Guess I'll make a manual tap head for larger size taps I have a proqunier 1-e that needs more collets, there kinda proud of those collets
I was hoping there was somthing that listed the major tap diameter
Thanks

a couple years ago i bought the tap and drill guides from these guys..very handyBig-Gator-Tools-Inch-Drill-Guide-Block.jpg

I read a post the other day where the instructions was for measuring the flutes of a drill or cuter. Chuck a roof of known diameter & use it to set a dial indicator then measure the flutes. This should work for you.

Most large taps have a hole in the back of them to keep them centered. Using a center in your chuck & a wrench on the back of them works well.

Back