Tapered Nozzle

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'd like to make a tapered nozzle for a hose fitting that will fit multiple hose inner diameters. I'm thinking 2" in length, diameter of 0.250" at the smallest end to 0.75" at the back bigger end. The other end will be a straight 1/2" run of .375 diameter to fit the feed hose. So I'm thinking something like this but in brass or plastic:

71tlqSlbjaL._SL1500_.jpg

I know I could just do steps of different diameters but figure this might be less work, but I don't know. I've never done a taper anything before. So how would I go about achieving this? Thanks.

I would set the compound for the taper and turn it. I do that all the time.
You feed with the compound my hand.

Last edited:
Here is my setup

uploadfromtaptalk1467640950327.jpg

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

I agree that the easiest method to turn the taper would be the compound rest method. If you are not familiar with it, it can be found in the South Bend "How to Run a Lathe". Or you can watch Mr. Pete. As usual, he doesn't actually get to it until about five minutes into the video:

If it were me, I would:

turn the taper

cut it off

hold it in a collet and cut the screw thread (using a die if I had the right one)

drill it.

I have zero idea why the blackout happened, but I figured it out the next day. Never did a taper before. I figured the angle and away we went and everything's good. Thanks guys.

Back