Taper tool for lathe from boring head

GaryK

In Memory
Rest In Peace
Turning tapers can be a pain without a taper attachment. Moving the tailstock means that you have to put it back.

Using a boring head from the mill is another simple way of doing it. I will show that in detail later.
You do need a couple of special things.

1. A Morse Taper shaft for your boring head to fit you tail stock.
2. A live center without a Morse Taper but a shaft diameter to fit your boring head.

I will come back to number 2 later in this post.

Number 1 is easier, but a little pricey. For example my boring head is small with a thread of 7/8-20 and enco has them for $30.
But on ebay I found one for $10 with shipping, but it has 1/2-20 threads. Being cheap like I am I decided to adapter it.

These are the steps I took.

I started with this:
IMG_1537 (Large).JPG

I cut the tang off of it (not necessary) and Turned, Tapped and Faced off the correct size of material
IMG_1538 (Large).JPG

The I mount it in the headstock using the morse taper itself so I know it will be nice and true.
To make sure it doesn't un-thread I drilled a hole from the end in half of each part and drove in a roll pin.
Here I'm cutting the roll pin flush.
IMG_1539 (Large).JPG

Then I form a blank for the threads.
IMG_1540 (Large).JPG

Then thread it.
IMG_1541 (Large).JPG

And it fits!
IMG_1542 (Large).JPG

Here is is completed
IMG_1544 (Large).JPG

And installed
IMG_1546 (Large).JPG

As soon as I get the live center I ordered I'll show what I do to that.

Gary

IMG_1537 (Large).JPG IMG_1538 (Large).JPG IMG_1539 (Large).JPG IMG_1540 (Large).JPG IMG_1541 (Large).JPG IMG_1542 (Large).JPG IMG_1544 (Large).JPG IMG_1546 (Large).JPG View attachment 97954

Great thread gary, I'll definitely be following this one.

I've been planning to buy two boring heads, one to make one of these & the other to make another radius turning tool that attaches to my QCTP instead of directly to my cross slide like the one I currently have.

Interested in how to make the live center part. I was thinking to modify a MT1 live center but wasn't sure if it would be too big.

Looks like a 2" head or are you using a 3"?

Great Gary, I guess Im lucky, I already have or came with my Criterion with a MT2 & MT3 and a R8
adaptor. Also there is nothing wrong with a plain ole dead center or a ball bearing works well.
Excellent idea, tailstock alignment is dreadfull chore. With this I can already see raking a taper with
dial ind. and tweeking the boring head until it -0s- out.

Great thread gary, I'll definitely be following this one.

I've been planning to buy two boring heads, one to make one of these & the other to make another radius turning tool that attaches to my QCTP instead of directly to my cross slide like the one I currently have.

Interested in how to make the live center part. I was thinking to modify a MT1 live center but wasn't sure if it would be too big.

Looks like a 2" head or are you using a 3"?

It a 2" Head with 1/2" holes. I ordered an MT2 live center since a MT1 is smaller than 1/2". I should be getting it soon.

Shear Genius Gary! Brilliant, just brilliant. Thanks for the post.

Got my new live center today so I wasted no time in turning it down to fit my boring head.

This is it out of the package.
IMG_1567.JPG

Chucked up with one pass taken.
IMG_1568.JPG

The finished product.
IMG_1570.JPG

Mounted in boring head
IMG_1573.JPG

and installed ready to start turning tapers.
IMG_1574.JPG
IMG_1576.JPG

Next time I'll turn a MT2 for my rotary table adapted to center up a 4J chuck.

Gary

IMG_1568.JPG IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1573.JPG IMG_1574.JPG IMG_1576.JPG IMG_1567.JPG

Nice, now to wait & hear how good it works. :)) Good to see your new 6-jaw in action. I did not realize the MT1 was smaller than 1/2", I never had any MT1 tooling, & I never bothered to check. Good thing you mentioned it.

BTW, I see they generously used that same white grease on your chuck that came on my Fuerda. There was so much excess of that white grease on my 4-jaw that I think I could have filled up a small container to use for later & last me a while. What a mess cleaning all that stuff off but in my case the jaws were so much smoother after I took most of it out.

Some people swear by grease & some people say just oil. The grease Bison uses/sells is expensive (Fuchs Lubritech Gleitmo 805)! I took the advice of others & use oil. Even though you got a lot of initial fling but I don't like how chips get stuck in the grease so easy, the thought of all that in the scroll doesn't seem too good. What I don't understand is that my 6-jaw has a small zerk fitting on the face & Bison uses grease. Naturally I would think to use oil there but I suppose you could shoot grease through there too. I never use that zerk fitting to lube though.

BTW, I see they generously used that same white grease on your chuck that came on my Fuerda. There was so much excess of that white grease on my 4-jaw that I think I could have filled up a small container to use for later & last me a while. What a mess cleaning all that stuff off but in my case the jaws were so much smoother after I took most of it out.

Some people swear by grease & some people say just oil. The grease Bison uses/sells is expensive (Fuchs Lubritech Gleitmo 805)! I took the advice of others & use oil. Even though you got a lot of initial fling but I don't like how chips get stuck in the grease so easy, the thought of all that in the scroll doesn't seem too good. What I don't understand is that my 6-jaw has a small zerk fitting on the face & Bison uses grease. Naturally I would think to use oil there but I suppose you could shoot grease through there too. I never use that zerk fitting to lube though.

Yup, I have to clean out the grease. I was too anxious to get something done to actually do it. No hurry though, so I'll wait until my next cleanup phase. Oil is what I've always used.

Gary

Back