Taper on a new lathe during a normal turn.

The next step is the two collar test cuts with no tail stock support.
Have you done that?

The next step is the two collar test cuts with no tail stock support.
Have you done that?
No I have not done that. I have 1.75 inch cold rolled bar stock. How far should I have it sticking out and what you’re saying is cut to different sizes with no tail stock support down the length of what is sticking out?

You should have 6" at least between shoulders. Aluminum is best as it cuts so freely. You want a very sharp tool with very little radius. I use a ground HSS tool bit that can take a .001" or less depth of cut.
So you will want to have two shoulders the d=same size on the far end and next to the chuck. 1/2" is all you need just enough to get a micrometer to measure. inbetween should be turned down so there is no cutting between the shoulders.
Once cleaned up take a very light cut, then advance forward and take the next cut without moving the cross slide on the should by the chuck.
Shut off the machine and turn back back to the beginning, start machine and take a spring pass, still not moving the cross slide.
There is a ton of info out there, do a search. Will probably be explained a lot better than I.

You should have 6" at least between shoulders. Aluminum is best as it cuts so freely. You want a very sharp tool with very little radius. I use a ground HSS tool bit that can take a .001" or less depth of cut.
So you will want to have two shoulders the d=same size on the far end and next to the chuck. 1/2" is all you need just enough to get a micrometer to measure. inbetween should be turned down so there is no cutting between the shoulders.
Once cleaned up take a very light cut, then advance forward and take the next cut without moving the cross slide on the should by the chuck.
Shut off the machine and turn back back to the beginning, start machine and take a spring pass, still not moving the cross slide.
There is a ton of info out there, do a search. Will probably be explained a lot better than I.
Roger that.

Back