Taper on a new lathe during a normal turn.

sr71xjet

Let the learning begin......
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello every one. Got a question for the group. I just got my new lathe in finally and getting it all set up. After doing some measurements, what is an acceptable taper from tailstock to head stock on a normal turn, say.....along a 12" turn?

Thanks

How thick of a piece?
Without tailstock support?

1.5 inch thick, 12 inches long with tailstock support.

With TS support, no taper. But seriously I think over 12" allowable taper is .0008".
But checking that is the last thing you do in setting up a new lathe.

With TS support, no taper. But seriously I think over 12" allowable taper is .0008".
But checking that is the last thing you do in setting up a new lathe.
That is what I am getting. about .0008. Yeah I know. Lol! I watch to much youtube....... I dont think i will chase .0008 for now. I leveled it. Got it ever so high on the headstock so the coolant will run down hill. Did the break-in according to PM and changed all the oil. Anything else I should be doing?

Did you take test cuts with no tailstock support?

It somewhat depends on the construction and quality of the lathe. The inspection sheet for my Sheldon MW-56-P gives a range of .0000" to .0005" as acceptable when leaving the factory.

Checking taper is a given anytime a lathe is fastened down. Any lathe, it need not be new. And on occasion as time passes, the frame may not stay straight. Having less than a thou in 12 inches on a new machine is a good start. How much you can tolerate is a matter of your personal tastes and needs. If it has too much to suit what you do, adjust it. If you can live with it, leave it alone. Be aware that there are two axes for distortion, one side to side, that can be adjusted with the offset of the tailstock. And the vertical, where the headstock sometimes needs shimming as well as the tailstock. Setup the indicator for both dimensions when you check.

It somewhat depends on the construction and quality of the lathe. The inspection sheet for my Sheldon MW-56-P gives a range of .0000" to .0005" as acceptable when leaving the factory.
This is a PM 1440TL

Back