Tap Storage Options

MozamPete

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
How do people store their taps (thread taps not water taps)?

I've recently acquired some sets of large taps (sets of tapers, intermediate and bottoming taps, 3/4" to a bit over an inch diameter). Not something I will likely use often but they were too cheap to turn down.

Most came without boxes and just taped together.
upload_2016-7-25_11-30-23.png

So I'm looking for ideas as to the best way to store them so they won't get damaged.
I was thinking of buying some large ID clear plastic hose and cutting it into tap size lengths, then getting a bag of suitable size corks to plug the ends. Or cutting to the length of three taps and then storing the set together end on end in the tube. This would provide good protection for the cutting edges.

Or I could go for a board and drill suitable sized holes so they all stand upright. But probably not necessary as these are not ones I will be using regularly.

How do others do it? Show me your storage.

Last edited:
I store mine in tackle boxes. Buy the ones that have dividers you can put in different places so you can suit your taps

cheers Phil

I like your idea of the clear hose tubes. For mine I used glass test tubes and rubber stoppers for the ones that fit. Also put in the proper drill bit and a label so when I went to tap something I had everything all in place.

Also I think the very best tool box for these and other tools is a map or blueprint cabinet. I have a set that is about 5 feet high, 2 inch by 48 by 36 inch drawers. Lined with rubber tool drawer mat. Just pull out the drawer and get the tool you need. Huge surface with everything in view and not a deep tool box with things stacked on each other. I got the set of cabinets on Craigslist.

I use clear bins to store the taps along with the drill for each one.

Go buy a five roll pack of black electrical tape from Horror Freight. All my larger taps 1/2" and bigger get a wrap of electrical tape on each tap, just on the threads. This gives them long term storage from handling damage. It's cheap, too. So far, none have left any sticky residue. If they ever do, spray some M-1 on the tap and it'll wipe right off.
My smaller taps are stored in a parts cabinet. And I have a drill/tap stand for the one's I use on the shop floor.

Taps in (possible) use are stored with tap- and body-drills in plastic collet shipping boxes. under No. 8 in endmill sleeves. Over 1/2, which I hope never to use are stored in a drawer in one of my Kennedy boxes, with cardboard dividers between them.

Hi Peter,

I do use tubing of various types and sizes to protect the cutting ends of taps. Some taps are between sizes so tubing one size smaller gets sliced up the edge and "hugs" the taps.

Unfortunately then, they just get thrown into a toolbox drawers. One drawer for imperial taps/dies, one drawer for metric, and drawer another for handles, thread gauges, etc.
So while they cutting edges are protected, it still takes a few minutes of pawing thru the pile to locate a particular size.

I have thought about cutting a piece of plywood to fit the drawer bottom and then either routing or using the table-saw dado blade to create slots for the taps, then labeling the slots right on the wood to make finding them easier.

For the dies I'd use a forstner bit to make recess for each die, with labels beside them.

The plywood would get a soak in motor oil or such to be sure it doesn't absorb humidity and rust the tools.

That's all just an idea in my head for now.........waiting for a free day and some motivation (or frustration at the current "system").

Let us know what you decide, I might amend my plans.

-brino

Here is how store my taps. They are still housed in the carry cases they came in. Seem to fit in the drawer quite nicely once I removed the lid.
KRL722 Drwr 03.JPG

You did not include a price range in your query, Lista makes tool cabinets used by shops across the US, excellent for tap, drill, reamer, gauge pin, collets, inserts, parts and anything one needs handy.
A bit pricey but one may keep a thousand pounds of tooling in a bench height Lista cabinet and it will last for decades if not longer.

Back