Tap organizer suggestions

Ultradog MN

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Along with a penchant for MT drills I kinda have a jones for good taps and dies and hauled home another 10? lbs of them from an auction this week.
I spent most of a day cleaning, inspecting and sorting them.
Some I tossed, some I'll trade and some I will keep.
But I really need to come up with a way to store and organize them.
I would like to keep them in drawers - and not have them in the open where they are more prone to gathering rust and dust.
Are there ready made wood or plastic trays that a guy can buy that fits in a drawer? Maybe like for drills that have rows for various diameter items?
I would appreciate seeing what some of you guys use.
Thanks

I use Huot tap dispensers like these. I have two of the machine screw size. one for 1/4" to 1" and one for metric 3mm to 20mm. I would guess they hold roughly 1/3 of the taps. The bulk of remainder 1" and under are in a roll around printer's cabinet. The drawers have been modified to allow multiple taps to fit in each partition. Those over 1" are too big to fit in the drawers so they sit on a shelf in separate sleeves like those used for end mills

Here's a picture of the printer's cabinet. it holds end mills, drills, taps, horizontal milling cutters, lathe tooling, and other small tools.

Attachments

• DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 24
Not ready made, but you can split PVC pipe, or better yet, PVC fencing material and make dividers. If you have a 3D printer that's another option.

GsT

I printed some holders for a fishing tackle box with my 3D printer.
20220827_113344.jpg
20220827_113401.jpg

Coffee cans with a rust prohibiter are a safe bet.

Been doing this for years with drill bits, stackable too.

Not ready made, but you can split PVC pipe, or better yet, PVC fencing material and make dividers. If you have a 3D printer that's another option.

GsT
I like that idea especially because they have a round bottom and it makes it easy to get the tool out of the tray. Lista makes these trays and I got a batch off eBay. But being Lista they can be very pricey.

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpeg
    IMG_0434.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 16
I use a Huot fractional drill bit organizer. It’s a duplicate but I don’t think you could fit all of your taps, probably just the good ones and put the bad/backup ones somewhere else.IMG_6902.jpeg

Back