Tap handle

Charles scozzari

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi, I made this tap handle so as to not have to remove the work piece from the table. I free the spindle (out) and am able to manually tap the hole. I prefer this method over power tapping because I can feel how the tap is working. Thanks, CharlieE8481C0F-8301-4930-BF22-F41ED3F62DDC.jpegD61CF443-7ECE-4CB1-B461-9765643483DE.jpeg

That's a biggun! Very nice. Is the R8 integral or is that a collet? I frequently power tap when I'm feeling brave. When I'm not, I have a set of piloted tap handles which I use on both lathe and mill, but they're not up to larger taps.

1643561775500.png

That's a biggun! Very nice. Is the R8 integral or is that a collet? I frequently power tap when I'm feeling brave. When I'm not, I have a set of piloted tap handles which I use on both lathe and mill, but they're not up to larger taps.

View attachment 394346
Hi, thanks for your interest.I used a 7/8" R8 end mill holder and modified the end of the starrett tap handle. To further lock the pressed in tap holder in the end mill holder I ran one of the new handles into where one of the set screws went in the R8 holder. This works very well for me.

Back