Tap drill size for 1/2 -10 Acme

Here is some info that puts it at .405. Mike

Newman Tools

Newman Tools logo

Supplying High Quality Tools and Supplies for Machine Shops, Plant Engineering and Maintenance Since 1955 ... We ship worldwide.

1. Home
  2. Taps
  3. Tap drill size for Acme Taps

Tap drill size for acme taps​

this page is for information only​

link to Acme Tap page

tap drill size for acme taps

Based on a 100% of thread as per ANSI
to calculate tap drill size for acme taps.

the magic formula
step 1
1 Divided by TPI ( threads per inch)
step 2
subtract this amount from the OD.
for pitches 10 and greater always add .005" for the drill size.
for pitches less than 10 TPI take the amount from step 1 and multiply x.05 ( 5 %) and add this to the drill size.
This is for 95% to 100% threads.

eg 1/2-10
1/10 = .100 ( step 1 )
.500 ( the OD ) minus .100 ( from step 1) = .400 drill size.
since the pitch is 10 or greater add .005" so the drill size is .405"

eg 3/4-6

1/6= .167"
.750 - .167 = .583" ( 100% )
.167 X .05 = .008" ( to obtain 5% )
.583 + .008 = .591" ( 95%)

Great information, Thanks
I am new here. I am going to make a new nut for my Clausing 6339 compound slide. I have 0.015" play. I just replaced the cross-slide nut went from 0.045" to 0.004" in the loses spot. (I purchased the cross-slide nut on eBay. This is with the original lead screw. When i back out it gets very tight 1/2" before it would go all the way back.
I copied it and put it in a folder for future reference.

It would seem like if .400 is the size then finding one should be no problem right?

Perhaps. The tap I have coming is a tandem tap which is a new thing for me. Seems as though it taps in two stages, a rough and a finish.
I’m currently making the same vise with the same type of tap, and boy are you in for a fun time.

The first stage is a biotch to get through, the second is a bit easier. Use some EP type of cutting fluid and learn to feel when the tap is flexing.

Been doing this sort of thing for over 3 decade’s professional and this operation gave me pause.

What material? Mine was in A2.

ETA: I only just now realized I replied to something on page one of a nine page thread.

Oops!

Last edited:
I’m currently making the same vise with the same type of tap, and boy are you in for a fun time.

The first stage is a biotch to get through, the second is a bit easier. Use some EP type of cutting fluid and learn to feel when the tap is flexing.

Been doing this sort of thing for over 3 decade’s professional and this operation gave me pause.

What material? Mine was in A2.

ETA: I only just now realized I replied to something on page one of a nine page thread.

Oops!
I never ended up building it but I still have all the stock to make it.
It is just 1018 cold rolled stock that I have.

I never ended up building it but I still have all the stock to make it.
It is just 1018 cold rolled stock that I have.
Funny, my project has been stalled now for a while too.

I want to make another one using an ACME thread rod... The revival of this thread was perfect!

Let me order the tap from McMasters..

Acme Thread Tap - Right Hand, 1/2"-10 Thread Size, 2-9/16" Thread Length

View attachment 476497

OOF, $113? You need engineering to order you that.

...OOF, $113? You need engineering to order you that.

Nope. What I need is a way to hide the purchase from my wife... I mean, the CFO. Everything is in the cart... along with a few other things I have been meaning to buy... The other things have been there for over a month now.

McMaster-Carr Pending Order.jpg

Maybe next month I will build the courage to place the order...

Not only are they hard to find, when you do, they are expensive. That was a great find at a great price. Good for you!

Back