Tap drill size for 1/2 -10 Acme

The area of contact with an Acme tap is comparatively huge. Having broken them before, and having to pay for the original and the replacement, I just wanted to suggest that you ask the maker for suggestions. Yes, I know how to look stuff up but I've done this stuff before and paid real money for the mistakes. It will take just a little time to ask, which may save you time and bucks.
Absolutely hear you there. I've contacted the manufacturer and will let you know what they say.

I used a tandem tap recently and I thought the first portion was going to snap before I got to the second section. The first section was really tough. Get a LARGE tap wrench! Once the first section got through, the second section was easy.

Ok, I'm very nervous, bordering on terrified about doing this now! :eek 3:

Ok, I'm very nervous, bordering on terrified about doing this now! :eek 3:

This is one reason why I will screw cut my next Acme nut. It will allow me to cut to the fit I require on the lead screw.

This is one reason why I will screw cut my next Acme nut. It will allow me to cut to the fit I require on the lead screw.
Screw cut as in internal single-point?

I should have looked at the McMasterCarr site for a bit of info on tap drill size. It clearly says 13/32"

From the description
"Because these sets of threads have different shapes, reversing the tap for removal may cause damage to the workpiece and is not recommended"
would that mean after threading you need to continue turning right and remove tap from bottom of part(putting shank thru work)?

From the description
"Because these sets of threads have different shapes, reversing the tap for removal may cause damage to the workpiece and is not recommended"
would that mean after threading you need to continue turning right and remove tap from bottom of part(putting shank thru work)?
Yup, that's what that means.

I should have looked at the McMasterCarr site for a bit of info on tap drill size. It clearly says 13/32"

For reference, I used a Z drill, 0.4130" on my project. In my case, a little bigger is better.

Back