Tap drill size for 1/2 -10 Acme

Not only are they hard to find, when you do, they are expensive. That was a great find at a great price. Good for you!
I do need to make the clamp thing to so there's that :)

Nope. What I need is a way to hide the purchase from my wife... I mean, the CFO. Everything is in the cart... along with a few other things I have been meaning to buy... The other things have been there for over a month now.

View attachment 476511

Maybe next month I will build the courage to place the order...
Don't forget to add the Black-Oxide 3/8-24 steel rod & Black-Oxide Steel Round Coupling Nut, 3/8"-24 to go with the thrust bearing for that dial extension. And either a taper or roll pin. Just saying . . . :)

FWIW my partner and I have a 17 year standing agreement. I only comment on purses and shoes regarding how nice they complement her, and she doesn't ask what goes into the shop.

Ron

Don't forget to add the Black-Oxide 3/8-24 steel rod & Black-Oxide Steel Round Coupling Nut, 3/8"-24 to go with the thrust bearing for that dial extension. And either a taper or roll pin. Just saying . . . :)

FWIW my partner and I have a 17 year standing agreement. I only comment on purses and shoes regarding how nice they complement her, and she doesn't ask what goes into the shop.

Ron
Ha! Good guess. But that is just to add to the existing setup on the Logan 820 for a smoother turn of the existing dial.

I'm planning a floating vise build and I need a hole sized for a 1/2-10 Acme tap.
This chart tells me the tap drill size is .400.
This page says it's .405
.400 is impossible to find it seems.
.405 is findable.
What is the correct size?
I just goto McMaster-Carr site for tap drill.

Dave

Ha! Good guess. But that is just to add to the existing setup on the Logan 820 for a smoother turn of the existing dial.
LOL :) Sir, I knew exactly what it was for. Just joking about the dial extension option.

Are you making the dial carrier? To me that's the best as well as the simplest way to be able to set pre-load independent of the dial friction. It eliminates the problem. Even more KISS and no different than the saddle bushing is to just put a spanner pin hole in the handle end. No need to mill flats.

Ron

Back