Tap and Die Storage and Organization - What Do You Do With Yours?

How do you sort them?

• Total voters

pontiac428

John Newman
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I had thoughts on this topic after the discussion here https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/general-ratcheting-tap-holder.87158/page-2#post-781141

And I re-visited a tool storage dilemma I seem to have with taps and dies. Right now, I have a couple of premium and a couple of decent tap/die/drill sets. That works out to five or six boxes and a couple of indexes of threading tools. The cases for some of these sets are compact, and at least one is too big for a tool cabinet drawer. When I burn a tap or die, I try to replace it with like, but not all of my sets are truly sets anymore. I'm considering a way to organize and store what I've got. I can either break sets down into fine/coarse/metric and load new Huot indexes, or I can use sorting trays and sort by nominal diameter (fine and coarse together, dies together with taps), or I can use my current system (blah), or I can ask Regis to poll the audience.

How do you manage your inventory of taps, dies, and tap drills?

Definitely interested in this as I am accumulating a larger number of taps and dies!
(Was poised to ask the same question so thanks!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought a box of coin envelopes from the office supply store, write the size/style on the envelope, and put them in a cardboard box that holds them in a manner that I can flip through and find the one I'm looking for.

My Craftsman are in their case, Snap on chasers in their case Drill hogs in their cases, and my Greenfields are 3 types per box, by size, in a roll away drawer, and a bunch of miscellaneous ones in a bulk organizer box. :)

Last edited:
I’ll snap a pic of my disorganized mess :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine take up 3 shallow drawers :grin:

I have a wooden box project box for my taps and dies. #8 and smaller go in a removable shallow tray, #10, #12, and 1/4" go in one section, >1/4" goes in the next (I don't have a ton of these). The final section has all my metric taps, left hand taps, specialty taps, and dies. There is one long section which holds all my tap wrenches, die holders, and tap guides.

Most of my loose taps and die are in a drawer in a storage cabinet in the shop. Organized by size in HF storage tubs. The card slot in the front of the tubs have a bent piece of sheet metal that slides into the slot to mostly close off the front. Brother label maker for the ID labels on top. Some tubs have two sizes (4-40 & 5-40, 12-24 & 12-28, etc.). Those are separated in plastic bags with Sharpie written on the bag for the size. Also have tap drills in each of the tubs. Most are just setting loose in the tubs, tap to tap contact. Frankly, haven't noticed any dulling with this method. It's not like I'm driving down a bumpy road in my shop.

Also have 5 or 6 tap/die sets in the box. Those are stored on a general tool rack.

Also have most of my end mills, cap screws, machine bolts, etc. stored the same way.

Bruce

My shop-made storage cabinet. Drawers are on full-extension glides. Drawers are made from 1/2" plywood.
20200703_111030.jpg

Taps and some loose dies. Arranged by size in HF bins
20200703_111100.jpg

Most of my end mills are stored by size, # of flutes and HSS vs. carbide
20200703_111109.jpg

Typical hardware storage
20200703_111043.jpg

Bruce, that drawer set you made is gorgeous! In all honesty, this is the solution that I need, not just for my taps, but for my whole tool library. Somehow, I manage to foul up most projects made in wood (hey, it's not a uniform or stable material!), but I can also do some potential horse-trading with people who can work in wood better than a 6 year old in exchange for welding or metal work... I will do Damascus in exchange for figured maple!

Not as many tap and dies as Bruce o_O, I buy most of my hand taps in sets and have dies in boxes, or package of multiples as backup. I have a large HF 72" tool chest that I use for most of my tooling that fits in flat drawers. Tap and dies are in one drawer for the most part, also have a Snap-On set that has served me well through the years with backups, but for day to day use I mostly use the tap sets in the boxes. Dies I have boxes with multiple adjustable round sets. Hand tapping tools in the same drawer along with extensions. Imperial is on the left and I keep my metrics taps on the right, everything in ascending sizes and tolerances. I have a separate drawer at my lathe and mill that have some specialty tap/die holders for each machine. Makes it much easier to see everything in one draw, I previously had it spread out in multiple smaller drawers and it was a real PTA to find what I was looking for.

I have a separate drawers for tap drills, stubs, regular imperial and metric drills, along with several other draws for different drilling and coring cutters. I use a separate HF 18" cabinet at my mill and lathe for all their related equipment. Works out nicely, I have my mill and lathe opposing each other and the HF cabinet is the 3rd leg of the triangle. I added a maple laminated top the the 72" HF cabinet so I can use it as a work surface, also has a 6" vise and electrical strip. Less expensive and more functional then those modular garage cabinets. Hardware is in metal cabinets similar to what Bruce has done.

20200928_162511.jpg

Back