TalonGrip Vise Jaws

akjeff

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Found a set of NIB TalonGrip vise jaw strips for 6" jaws on eBay, and made a pair of jaws to mount them in. Already had a couple bars of 4140 that were in the ballpark size wise. Being only around 30HRC, they're going to get scratched and dinged up, but until I get a heat treat oven, so be it.
IMG_1376.jpg
After squaring them up on the mill, and then grinding them together, they wound up .9975"x1.7850"x6.00". The factory jaws from MiteeBite are 1.00"x1.740"x6.00", I believe. Close enough. Made the counterbored holes for the 1/2"-13 SHCS.
IMG_1379.jpg

Lastly, the groove was cut to accept the serrated jaw strips. It's .188" deep and leaves a .125" ledge in front of the serrations. The width called for .500" +.001"-.003". I started at .005" and then gradually opened it up until the strips just started in the slot, and stoned them until they just fit. Drilled and tapped for the 10-32 mounting screws, and then broke the edges with a .010" chamfer. Look forward to giving them a try with aluminum and mild steel.
IMG_1392.JPG

I like your project, but I'm wondering why/if you need TalonGrips.
Do you do high material removal rates on CNC or multiple small parts in the jaws at one time or ???

I like your project, but I'm wondering why/if you need TalonGrips.
Do you do high material removal rates on CNC or multiple small parts in the jaws at one time or ???
No real need, just felt like trying them. Should make quick work of squaring up rough stock that's not quite uniform enough to simply plop onto a set of parallels without screwing around with aluminum/copper wire, flipping, repeating, etc. Just grab onto it with the TalonGrips, mill the length and width to dimension, deck the top, and mill any other features you can. Flip it over on a set of parallels, and mill to the desired thickness and done.

Back