1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We want to wish everyone a healthy, happy New Year, full of joy and success. God bless you, and thank you for supporting The Hobby-Machinist.

Dismiss Notice

Taking it to the final size

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by 8ntsane, Aug 13, 2012.

1. bfd

bfd United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    nipomo
    State:
    California
    what I don't see in your post is how the sizes act each time if you are at 1.20 and dial in .010 do you get1.270 or something different. then you dial .n .010 again do you get 1.260 if you do then don't change anything and take the final cut it should come out on size if none of the other sizes came out then start figuring out if yo are going over and compensate for the change learn your lathe sometimes they will stick and then jump. put a dial indicator on the carriage and watch it move. buy the way in the machinist world tenths is short for ten thousandths .1 tens, .01 hundredths .001 thousandths .0001 ten thousandths abbreviated tenths so we don't have to say so much each time bill

2. Tony Wells

Tony Wells United States Vice President Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas
    In these parts, the "basic" unit is 0.001, so if I say 1 inch 100 (or "an inch 100"), I'm saying 1.100" or I say "one half" I'm saying 0.0005. Or if I simply say "that bore is 10 over!" That means it has exceeded tolerance by 0.010". Otherwise, it's directly indicated to be in ten-thousandths, as in "2 tenths", meaning 0.0002".

4gsr and uncle harry like this.