Tailstock Alignment?

Levelling a lathe won t do anything for wear but wear will change your centre height and introduce tapers.

An un-level lathe will produce tapers, even if it is brand new with zero wear. THAT is why we level the lathe.

I think it depends on the work you need to do. If you're making parts for a tractor with tolerances in the hundredths then a bit of taper is fine. On the other hand, if you're making a precision shaft to go in a precision bore then even a little bit of taper is not going to work. I am not anal about most things but I am anal about leveling and aligning my lathe because it matters to me. As for the OP, I think it is important to know how to level and align a lathe to begin with. How often or to what degree he takes it from there is up to him but the process should certainly be learned.

Holy cow! Were going in circles. Have a good night all!

So...OP...you gonna buy that thing or what?

Buy the edge technology TS bar. It works great, you know it’s accurate. While it is fair to argue that making one is a great “learning” project, if your shop is anything like mine, you likely have enough projects that you “want” to make rather than adding another project for the shop. IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A good test bar takes less than 10 minutes to make and will be every bit as accurate as that purchased one. No disrespect intended.

Good morning guys yea kinda got out control little,but after researching all the ideals making a test bar which requires a lathe then looking on auction site their there by tons and most cost more than buying edge test bar.So I am going w/Edge which have a discount code which I hope works.I believe that buying this I know it’s accurate and not hand made by me with a possible mistake will serve yrs to come.Afterwards when Im done to old can’t see it will be and easy sell

Back