Taig Headstock Collets

oskar

Registered
Registered
I have a Taig 3/4” 16 SAE headstock as per attached picture. When I remove the Chuck I have a nut which screws into the threaded shaft and I want to get a set of collets which will fit into the nut but I don’t know the required collets size.

Do you know the required collet size?

Thank you

Attachments

• TAIG HEADSTOCK.JPG
    TAIG HEADSTOCK.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 24
Taig & LMS sell a set of collets and also blanks so you can make some odd-size ones.

If the photo is of your actual lathe it looks like it is an ER16 head stock, not the 3/4-16 headstock.

If that is the case you want ER16 collets and you will need to keep that in mind when you order certain accessories like a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. The 3/4"-16 headstock uses its own collet set which you can get from Taig.

Lee Valley used to sell sell the complete line of Taig lathe parts, but I don't see the collet set anymore.

The tag on your Taig headstock indicates that it is the standard Taig 3/4 x 16 threaded spindle.
One option is to get the ER 16 collet adapter that Taig sells. It is inexpensive. A good set of Techniks collets can be had for ~$150, and there are also less expensive sets available.
I have the Taig ER 16 adapter and interestingly enough I can use it on my Taig and also my Sherline.

I hadn't thought of that, 49’r. In addition to my LMS HiTorque Mini-Mill I have a Sherline copy Micro-Mill (sold by MicroMark a while ago): it has an MT1 spindle taper, but with the Taig 3/4-16|ER16 adapter I can use my ER16 collets a lot easier. I can also use them on my Sherline 4" Rotary Table (with the RT 3/4-16 adapter I already have).

Now I just need to find some more Taig stuff to help spread the cost of shipping. Shouldn't be hard – last year I found a 3-1/4" self-centering 4-jaw chuck for $20 (OK, it has 1-8 threads, but 3/4-16|1-8 adapters are actually easy to find).

Thanks!

[edit: I incorrectly credited Doug Gray with Forty Niner’s post]

Last edited:
If you can zoom in my original posted picture it says: Lathe 3/4 16 SAE, and under that it says: Mill ER16. I also do have the ER16 headstock with a complete set of ER16 collets and now I want to get a collet set for the 3/4 16.

The idea posted by Forty Niner is an excellent one, ER 16 Collet adapter. I found it at Taig, 1045ER 16 Adapter for 3/4-16 Spindel $31.35. Kind of expensive for just an adapter but I could use my existing set of ER 16 collets

Many thanks

If you can zoom in my original posted picture it says: Lathe 3/4 16 SAE, and under that it says: Mill ER16. I also do have the ER16 headstock with a complete set of ER16 collets and now I want to get a collet set for the 3/4 16.

The idea posted by Forty Niner is an excellent one, ER 16 Collet adapter. I found it at Taig, 1045ER 16 Adapter for 3/4-16 Spindel $31.35. Kind of expensive for just an adapter but I could use my existing set of ER 16 collets

Many thanks

Yep you are right, confusing how they show both spindles, the lathe and mill and they are different.

I have the Taig ER16 collet adaptor, I use it on my Sherline and Taig lathes. It is handy for small parts and is a lot shorter than my ER32 collet chuck.

Back