Tachometer Kit

Brucer, to set the number of input pulses, you press and hold the knob to the right of the display for 5 seconds, then rotate the knob to set the number. Pressing the knob once after that saves your entry.

While I'm on the topic, using the tach in the SFM mode is as easy as pressing the knob once, then rotating it to set the diameter of your cutter or work. A second later, the display is ready to show the SFM as you adjust the speed of your machine. Pressing the knob again returns it to RPM.

Benny, if you go to the Buy page of the web site, you will see all of the parts and kits available. The choke is one of them as are the Hall sensors. The manual tells you how to use all the bits.

Thanks for the write-up Hawkeye. Looks like it turned out great. I have the same kit sitting in front of me right now and I'll hopefully have time to finish putting it together tonight (all depends on when the wife gets home ;) ).

-Ron

I just checked the MachTach site. Guy is once again shipping his versatile tachometer kits. I have built three of them and mounted two on my mills and lathe. The third will go on the CNC conversion of the X2 mill. In case you're counting, the first installation serves both the ZX-25 mill and the lathe.

I use a handheld one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Las...373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d044c463d

Tach.jpg

Came with a roll of reflective tape that you cut a small piece from and stick to the part you want to measure the speed of.
Works well and you can use the same tool to measure any number of machines (until you run out of tape :))).
For all the criticism given to Chinese items, this is a remarkable value at $15 delivered.

No disrepect intended to the tach kit in this thread, just showing an alternative.

M

Tach.jpg

I have a hand-held as well, and it does work well. The convenience of having a dedicated tach mounted on the machine is just a cut above. Besides, I am a gadgaholic.

I always thought these were definitely of the "cool" factor and kept wanting to get one installed on my lathe after I set it up with variable speed controller.

At some point I figured that the numbers are only good for rough estimation and the final deciding factor on actual RPM is listening in to the machine. for that I can get a rough estimation of the RPM based on pulley configuration and potentioeter output and get to optimal spindle speed based on reading the machine.

still think those are cool though :)

FYI - I did get one of those handheld meters, and it works quite well, and has been kept in storage in my toolbox until maybe...just maybe one day I'll need it for something else :thinking:

Hawkeye, can you please give a little more specifics on the Hall Effect Sensor? How strong to the magnets need to be? I'd like to do this to my Bridgy and a Tachulator.

I'm using small rare earth magnets I got on sale. I imagine HF carries them. They are only about 5/16" in diameter, but plenty strong.

I don't really know what the requirements are in strict terms.

Back