T-slot sizes on a milling table

Yes the last one you listed will be fine and the price is right. Plus you should beable to find a free shipping code on the net.

Just a FYI on the clamping kits. Although they cost a bit more, the ones from TeCo are much better quality than the Chicom imports.

-Ron

Ahh yea, something else I've been debating. I found a 15% off code for Enco (the only free shipping I could find is for orders over $100) so I could get the import kit to my front door for about $60. The cheapest I found the Te-Co kit was $165 shipped from Amazon. That's a big jump, and I don't know how long I am going to have this mill. I'm already eyeballing a Rockwell knee mill...

I've never used clamps like this before, but I'm already not sure about the design. It seems like you have to get the step block height to the exact same height as your workpiece, or you'll be loading up the high side of the clamp, which will try to bend the stud. I've seen clamps that resemble a rocker arm from a car engine, where there's a bearing in the middle that levels the load. I like that a lot better, but then again, maybe I'm overthinking it!

Ahh yea, something else I've been debating. I found a 15% off code for Enco (the only free shipping I could find is for orders over $100) so I could get the import kit to my front door for about $60. The cheapest I found the Te-Co kit was $165 shipped from Amazon. That's a big jump, and I don't know how long I am going to have this mill. I'm already eyeballing a Rockwell knee mill...

I've never used clamps like this before, but I'm already not sure about the design. It seems like you have to get the step block height to the exact same height as your workpiece, or you'll be loading up the high side of the clamp, which will try to bend the stud. I've seen clamps that resemble a rocker arm from a car engine, where there's a bearing in the middle that levels the load. I like that a lot better, but then again, maybe I'm overthinking it!

Understandable. I just wanted to throw that out there "just in case". :thumbzup: I've had a good experience working with the step blocks and clamps that come in one of the sets. You do have to be careful with the setup and maybe use shims in certain cases but there are a number of different options one can add to the set to take care of most any job - http://www.te-co.com/Clamps+Clamping+Accessories-C-1081-C-.aspx

I also like the idea of these kind of clamps as well.

For certain situations they would be great but I'm thinking that they have their own limitations as well. Height is one thing that comes to mind. You'd have to find some kind of block to place under the tail and fasten THAT down as well. Other things come to mind but hopefully someone with actual experience using them will throw in his two cents.

It's probably best to have a bunch of all kinds of clamps, etc. (I may be using that 15% Enco code also. :biggrin:) for work holding as every job will be different and not every clamping system will be appropriate.

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Back