T slot bolts

snoopdog

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
What is your experience? I certainly can't be the first that has inverted bolts of the proper size, or with just a little whittling, for clamping purposes.

Perhaps using off the shelf bolts for studs by cutting off the heads and threading them for use as studs? If so in my opinion, the original threads are not long enough to give a useful length of threads for clamping. Besides, most common bolts are quite soft and will not resist early wear and stretching of the threads; as cheap as clamping kits are, there is no reason to go cheap, this includes using "ready rod".

I think the question is something like “ have you used ordinary bolts with the head inside a t-slot instead of proper clamping bolts made to fit t-slots?”

I do not. I’ve seen t-slots galled up from shanks of carriage bolts or ill-fitting hex or square bolts and it’s really annoying trying to clean them up.

I think the question is something like “ have you used ordinary bolts with the head inside a t-slot instead of proper clamping bolts made to fit t-slots?”

I do not. I’ve seen t-slots galled up from shanks of carriage bolts or ill-fitting hex or square bolts and it’s really annoying trying to clean them up.
I heartily agree!!!

Pretty vague question from the OP . We'll get him on the right path . :)

I made some out of 3/8" bolts from a pool heater water jacket thingy- sort of like higher grade carriage bolts. I milled opposing flats on the heads, worked fine.
Only thing better than cheap is free :cupcake:

Last edited:
Grade 8 isn't hard to buy anywhere - but actual T-Nut Studs that are made for the job are even better. Been lucky in having 5/8" & 1/2" sets included in lots I've won. Might never have an uncluttered shop - but, it isn't for lack of trying to organize. Bent up my own organizer for 5/8" extras!

Attachments

• 20221014 01.jpg
    20221014 01.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
My experience is that the bolt heads are too small, not long enough to keep from spinning. I have some T bolts that are store bought and they work fine for repeated vise remounting. For all else, I have numerous T nuts that I made and just use all thread rod or grade 5 bolt threads in them. When I make T nuts, I make them in groups of 6 or 8. About once a year, I use most of them at one time. The rest of the time they are just ballast in the mill cabinet.

Back