Swivel vise insert for fixed vise

If you're milling the ends , why not use a sine bar or protractor in your stationary vise ?

If you're milling the ends , why not use a sine bar or protractor in your stationary vise ?
I'm not following that.
I need to have the part clamped down along the long flats and then swivel the part for the end mill to cut parallelto the short sides, as seen in my drawing.

Attachments

• 190E0B67-A694-4291-9054-E3D41E797C45.png
    190E0B67-A694-4291-9054-E3D41E797C45.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 16
If it’s a part you plan to do repeatedly why not just build a fixture?

If it’s a part you plan to do repeatedly why not just build a fixture?
I thought of that but the fixture, I figured, would have some kind of clamping mechanism so why not just go with a smaller removable vise.

You could turn your existing vise to the correct angle and toe clamp it to the mill table... you don't necessarily need a swivel base to set a vise at an angle...

-Bear

Yup, G0678 knee mill.
I was thinking something like this but I cannot find overall dimension specs for this anywhere.
The Sherline milling vise is sized just right to be the perfect working companion to the Sherline milling machine. The jaws are 2.00″ (50.8mm) wide by 1.00″ (25.4mm) deep and open a full 2.00″ (50.8mm). The fixed jaw has both a horizontal and vertical “V” groove to facilitate holding round bar stock. The vise includes two clamps for use in attaching it to the milling machine. These clamps are the same as the 4-jaw hold-down set.

Based on the above.. i would say that your looking at about 3.5 inches wide at most prob.. for the swivel base

I ended up purchasing that little round vise for $42 on Amazon. It comes today so we'll see soon how it works out.
And Bear, the whole point of this is to not move my big vise. Too much a PITA re-tramming it in.

Back