Swivel vise insert for fixed vise

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
I have a 6" Glacern fixed vise. I do not want to purchase and mount the swivel base for it.
However, I do have a need for a swivel vise. I was thinking a quick and dirty way to accomplish my need, which is rare, would be if there was a small swivel vise that had a squared off base that I could just clamp into my fixed vise for the rare times I need to use it. Is there such a thing?

What would be your use case? Would it be better to invest the money into a rotary table?

What would be your use case? Would it be better to invest the money into a rotary table?
I have an 8" rotary table but it would be such a PITA to set up for a small part I need milled at 23.5 degrees. Plus, I need to clamp onto the end of the part at just under 1/8". A small swivel vise that I can just drop in and clamp into my large fixed vise would be perfect.

You could get something like this and fix it to a suitable chunk of metal which could be clamped in your vise.

Maybe like this ?

Assuming you have enough Z travel of course.

That’s a cute little thing. Probably quite small but being Sherline probably good quality. You might still want to bolt it to a chunk of metal for stability.

That’s a cute little thing. Probably quite small but being Sherline probably good quality. You might still want to bolt it to a chunk of metal for stability.
The parts a small as well. Wouldn't clamping into my big vise be enough? At most I'd be using a 1/4" end mill on it.

Attachments

• DBF98D3A-7D77-4F15-9AD1-F8EFA79D0372.jpeg
    DBF98D3A-7D77-4F15-9AD1-F8EFA79D0372.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 24
Back