Surface plate stand.

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
@MrWhoopee thread about his surface plate stand resurfaced a project for me.
I have a shop grade 12x18 plate.
It’s currently sitting on my bench.
I’d like to make a stand for it so I can level it to use as a reference surface to balance my grinding wheels.

Planning to use some 2” angle iron to make the frame, weld on three 3/8” ready rod couplers vertically, two at one and and one at the other. I’ll make some long adjuster screws out of ready rod.

I was reading about Bessel points and was wondering if this is something I should concern myself with for the design.

Last edited:
Indeed. Bessel.
Autocorrect got me.
Original post corrected.

Granite surface plates are generally supported at the perimeter, two at one end and one on the other end in the center. The plates are finish lapped with this support, so they should be flat supported thusly.

Granite surface plates are generally supported at the perimeter, two at one end and one on the other end in the center. The plates are finish lapped with this support, so they should be flat supported thusly.

Thank you sir!

Here’s what I did acouple years back. It’s along the same principle but I didn’t like the fact that on one end it could teater. So what I did to have the plate on four adjustment feet was have one end pivot. The whole Assy. Is on top a shop cart. 3DA46844-0996-4605-A1B3-5DBFA8DFE93F.jpeg1C7332D1-1EEC-4A2C-B5B7-554B53DC9A3C.jpeg

It’s a 18x24 plate and once nice thing is I keep all my gauge blocks underneath. Here’s a shot currently checking some parallels I just got done with. Disappointed in the bluing. image.jpg

Isn't your plate riding on a plastic cart? If so, that means that it is never level!

Back