Supermax Mill

dlane

Active User
Registered
went to look at a supermax mill today he wants $1500, for it . It takes r8 collets has dro , x powerfeed
one shot oiler, it is a 1985 ycn1-2 va table is 42 x 10 , collets not included but will throw in a vice .
It dose need 3ph to run
Runs real smooth/ quiet compared to a Bridgeport next to it . He was saying to use a converter to start a 5hp
3ph motor which will generate 3ph to run mill ?( mill is 2hp) any how has any one had experience with these
Mills ? it is not vs . I'll have to get some r8 collets and a 3ph converter . Any advice thoughts comments much appreciated
Thanks
Derrick

The SuperMax mills are quality equipment. If it's in good shape, then the price is right. I would spend the money for a VFD to run it on single phase, actually much cheaper than rotary phase converters.

Use a VFD you will be money ahead and you can control the speed and save on power

Thanks Jim, hack master . Anything in particular to look closer at ?. How do they compare to a Bridgeport
This one is a step pulley not vs but that's ok with me, if I remember correctly a vfd can control speed .
Still plenty of flaking on y ways . The power feed is US made, the dro is baush & lomb
Thanks
Derrick

I have a Supermax. '96 1 1/2 VS 3hp running on a vfd. Newall DRO and Servo power feed. No complaints. I have yet to replace anything in the 3 or so years I've had it but most BP parts should work. Made in Taiwan and apparently one of the better imports.

VFDs are all over ebay. Especially sub 2hp units. You can be operational any number of ways for under $150. Stay away from the Huangyang vfd. For the same $ you can find new surplus name brand.

Better scoop it up before someone else does!

How's the backlash on the table? If everything seems as good as it sounds your getting a good one. I think the vfd is the way to go now it makes your mill variable speed to and know problem with instant reverse for tapping either. Good luck with her. I just bought a mill drill and have more then that price in it and haven't even ran it yet.

As for what to check...

What is leadscrew backlash at middle compared to ends of travel? This will give you an idea of usage and wear.

Verify the quill power downfeed works.

Verify the x power feed and DRO works.

Put it in back gear and run. Might be a bit noisier as long as its smooth you are good.

If any of the above fail to impress...well consider it a bargaining chip or a deal breaker.

1. Hi all, we put it in backgear, there was no noticeable noise increase, it ran quiet . We checked the y backlash with the dro .005 didn't seem bad didn't check the x , guess I should of. I don't believe it has power downfeed but I did run the quill all the way down while the machine was running , it was real smooth no noise, x power feed ran good with speed changes. Going to check x backlash but it should be ok. What would be an acceptable amount of backlash ?. The one shot oiler may need some help , a couple hoses going no were. I believe I'll pull the trigger on this one . And get a vfd for a 5hp I guess , the machine is 2 hp , any recommendations on good vfd ?.
  2. Thanks for the help

google supermax mill
all pictures show a power downfeed
maybe the handwheel got misplaced?

0.005 back lash is very good. I would accept 0.020 to 0.030. Sounds like the mill is in good condition. Pretty sure it has a power down feed, I have never seen one that didn't

I would not get a 5 HP VFD, if the VFD is rated for single phase input, then just match the HP. My personal preference are the GS2 units from Automation Direct. http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ts_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC)/GS2-22P0
I have used many of these, and have one of the 3 HP units on my 3 HP mill.

There are other good brands also: Teco, Hitachi, Yaskawa.

Back