Suggestions For A 4 Jaw Chuck

I've been using aluminum roofing flashing.
Seems to work well, is inexpensive, and recyclable.

Daryl
MN

....also for "soft" between the hard jaws of a chuck and the work pc when wanted/needed., I sometimes snag a groove in aluminum or brass shims and use rubber bands to hold them on ifn' i don't want to fumble with them...
...also over the years I have a box of various sizes of aluminum "rings" I have cut off of aluminum "tubes", some I have bored the ID when needed,...anyway, then saw a split and just slip them over your work pc.

Last edited:
Christian,
Thanks, I had heard the term buck chuck and didn't know what it meant.

So it means this style of three jaw chuck with type of centering adjustment? (and the brand?)

Christian,
Thanks, I had heard the term buck chuck and didn't know what it meant.

So it means this style of three jaw chuck with type of centering adjustment? (and the brand?)
Yes, Buck is a brand but also "bucking" means/allows 3 jaws and 6 jaws to indicate your part by way of tightening/loosening 4 adjusting set screws (usually brass tipped set screws or "pushers'') that are 90 degrees apart that are on (through) the major OD of the chucks (But maximum adjustment/movement is usually only around +/- .03o)

Note: The SHCS's that hold the chuck together on these are to be kept more than snug but not absolutley tight to allow the chuck to adjust

Note: A 6 jaw, like a collet, although good for "off" OD sizes (unlike a collet), is only good for finished round or skimmed round OD's (or you will ruin a 6 jaw (or collet)

Last edited:
I believe what Christian is referring to is called a Set-True chuck. Buck does make Set-True chucks as well as other manufacturers. I have a 6", 6 jaw Gator chuck with the Set-True feature. Which brings me to the point of your original question about what chuck to buy and where. I have purchased two used Rohm 4-jaw chucks on eBay and both were good chucks at good prices, but you are taking your chances buying used chucks sight-unseen. You can buy chucks manufactured specifically for your particular mounting system (1 1/2-8 in your case) or you can buy a universal chuck and put a back plate to adapt it to your mounting system. The advantage to the first is that it will have less protrusion from the spindle because there is no back plate and there is less possibility for run-out error (which really isn't that important with a 4-jaw chuck). As far as brand, it depends a lot on your budget. Buck, Pratt-Bernerd, Rohm, Bison, are all good chucks but are pretty pricey. My Fuereda/Gator chuck I find to be middle of the road for quality and price. I don't have experience with the less expensive chucks from some of the suppliers like Shars, CDCO, Grizzley, etc. so can't speak to their quality.

Ted

That is a 12" lathe I would go with 8" look on eBay for atlas craftsman lathes. 4 Jaw 1 1/2-8 chucks show up often at fair prices.

The other parts are extrusions (much like 8020 extrusions) with an existing bore that is turned larger on each end so are more easily located in the chuck however they must still be indicated in 2 axes, I use 2 indicators for this purpose.

indicatorsonsquare.jpg

indicatorsonsquare.jpg

indicatorsonsquare.jpg

indicatorsonsquare.jpg

indicatorsonsquare.jpg

Wreck,

Your web posting for pictures was kicked back by my virus scan software as being malicious and a threat to my computer. You may want to repost your pictures from another source. Ken

The preferred method for displaying photos is to upload them to this site. That way if something happens to your host site, the photo is still available. To upload, just click the UPLOAD A FILE button next to the POST REPLY button below where you type in your message.

The preferred method for displaying photos is to upload them to this site. That way if something happens to your host site, the photo is still available. To upload, just click the UPLOAD A FILE button next to the POST REPLY button below where you type in your message.
Yes I understand this, I normally have pictures hosted by such services as Photobucket or Smugmug however I'm in the process of switching providers so used the first free service that turned up in a Google search in the interim. I would rather use the nearly unlimited resources of a large provider then the meager resources of the Hobby Machinist servers, free comes with adds as you well know.
Is this better?
indicatorsonsquare_zpsgqygg4ol.jpg

Last edited:
Back