Suggestions For A 4 Jaw Chuck

Thanks for the advice everyone. I bought a Grizzly chuck and back plate. I think this would be below your quality standards.

Wreck,

Yes. Thanks.

But out of curiosity, why is the photo foggy.

I think this would be below your quality standards.

I don't think that's necessarily true. But glad you got your chuck. Of course, you do realize that we don't believe you until we see pictures, right ? :)

Ted

OK. I didn't think of the second one. But CoolMist did come to mind. :)

OK. I didn't think of the second one. But CoolMist did come to mind. :)
I work in a machine shop, 5 lathes and 7 mills none of which use mist coolant, it is either flood or nothing, however a mixture of dishwashing soap and water in a spray bottle works well on aluminum jig plate when finish milling.

Brain,

There is nothing wrong with using that chuck for the home shop machinist use. Just don't tighten the crap out of the jaws and it'll give you years of good service.

Like any other Chinese made chuck, first thing I would do is take it apart and clean out all of the grit and crud. Next, lightly grease, and I mean lightly grease, with some moly-disulfate based grease. If you over grease, you will wear the excess for years to come every time you turn on the lathe. Don't ask me how I know this. They do make special grease for chucks, it is very expensive and not worth it in my opinion our use. Industrial, yes.

Ken

EDIT: Just thought of something, the last chuck I serviced, I used a little Never-Seize on the jaw screws. Again, a little dab goes a long way. Ken

Yes, when I take apart, rework, clean (yada) a chuck, I use Lubriplate (An old quart can I "inherited" about 20 yrs ago that is still 3/4 full!)

Add:...tightening and "bucking" chucks is kinda' a science in itself but tighter is better! (But not cyborg tight!?)..."medium" tight and indicate (tap, tap, tappy with your "knocker" for "straight"(and pull your indicator tip away when doing so!)....then tighten' (and indicate and tap tap tappy again if needed)

"Loose chucks sink ships"

Last edited:
One other comment on choosing a chuck to buy is that it's worth it in the long haul to try to find one that fits your spindle nose without having to have a separate back plate.. All other things being equal, the chuck with separate back plate will be heavier and longer. My 6" Pratt-Bernerd buck chuck with two-piece jaws is over a pound lighter than a more or less equivalent from Shars.

Back