Suggestion on applicable TRIG book?

If you really want to be spiffy, I would go with the "Machinist Calc Pro 2" calculator. It is specifically designed for working out machining related problems.
Ditto

43030616270_a8609dbb6e_b.jpg

Someone could/should write a tutorial on the basic use of Trig for this site.

Robert

Of course it works! It was sitting by the computer when I saw the post! I wish I still had the one that preceded it- black with red LED display and a 9V battery.
Robert

Really, I think for most problems I have encountered, knowing the sine of 30 and 45 degrees will be plenty. Throw in 60 and you have it.

Remember this: sin 30=0.5, sin 45=0.707, sin 60=0.866

For example, bolt circles:

3 holes - top hole, up the radius, other two down from center by radius times sin 30 and over plus/minus cos 30 times radius
4 holes - trivial, up/down and left/right half the diameter
5 holes - ok, got me here. Never have encountered this.
6 holes - top and bottom, +- radius, other four up/down at +- radius times sin 30, left/right at +- radius times cos 30.
7 holes - ok, same as 5. Never has happened to me.
8 holes - another easy one, up/down and left/right at radius, diagonals at +- radius times sin 45.

Beyond this, use a web based bolt circle calculator. :)

Reading your conversations, a couple things. I don't have any CAD software, i don't have a slide ruler (and I picture a slide whistle...) You guys seems to know when you need to do some TRIG equations and what that problem looks like. If anything, I'm an artist. If for instance, i needed to plot out a 8 hole pattern, it would become more of a drawing very symmetrical, than it would be a math problem. I
Rock_breaker on this forum is helping a lot, but this is a large amount of need here. I don't want to crush him with all my lack of knowledge..
Im running through this online portal RJ gave me, but I'm not sure i will know when they are needed to be used when fabricating.
Don't overthink it. Most of the requirements are pretty basic. A $10 scientific calculator from Walmart will do all of your calculations for you. If you don't want to spend the $10, your computer or smart phone has a scientific calculator built in. You don't have to remember any of the values for the trig functions for various angles. After a while, the ones you use the most will become committed to memory.

There were plenty of excellent machinists that had no idea what a trig function was. Chances are you may never need to use them. However, if you find you do and you need help, this forum is an excellent resource.

I may be wrong but I think the real issue is not how to get the sine or cosine number. The issue is when and how to use trig functions conceptually and practically. i.e. setting up a sine vise. That would be a good tutorial.
Robert

Back